lawn striping.........

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gordons lawn, Apr 6, 2003.

1. gordons lawn

gordons lawn LawnSite Member

i own a toro 52" hydro walk behind mower, it does a pretty good job of lawn striping, however i was wondering if there is anything i could do to the deck to enhance the striping effect on the lawns i take care of. I have heard there are add on kits or some guys just make there own.......any suggestions???
    thanks, Jim Gordon:blob3:

2. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Jim, your best bet is to take the same words you put in the subject line of your post and put them in the Search feature.
    You will have plenty of reading to keep you busy.

3. Mark P

Mark P LawnSite Senior Member

:) I think double blades have a big part to do with the striping,ive ran both and the doubles show a better efect, plus a chain kit would work wonders....Marks Mowing Service

my pictures 075.jpg

4. Firefighter Dave

Firefighter Dave LawnSite Member

Striping? WHY? Does anyone NOT like them.... I am sure it a personal preference.... have you have customers say not to leave them?

I believe that striping is for the ball fields...

Dave

:blob2: :blob2:

5. mike9497

mike9497 LawnSite Senior Member

i found that old ladies hate the lines.they think are mowers are damaging there lawns because they leave lines lol.by the roller stripping kit.someone posted about it last week.the post i think is.does anyone use this for stripping

6. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Stripes sell. No kidding they do. I've had potential customers ask if I can put the "criss crosses" in their lawn. I smiled as I said "Yes Ma'am!" I think they look great, they're my trademark, customers like them and it's something I can do at no cost that makes me look better in the customer's eyes and it's fun to show up the other LCO's! :angel:

With my 52" Scag I found it did good by itself but I added a striping flap. Does good in most types of grasses but others the flap isn't enough pressure but in any type still better than just the mower itself. Stubborn grasses need the weight of a roller not chain or flap. Other types it's just "same difference". I recently put double blades on the mower (medium/high lift and gator mulchers) and in my opinion that helped also (like MarkP said). Remember when putting on doubles that there should be no spacers between the blades (unless a saddle bracket requires you to) and usually you need to remove a spacer or raise the deck height to compensate for the extra 1/4" or whatever that the blade adds (by sticking down farther). If you have a fixed deck w/b then you might prefer the blades to be set higher in the deck (more spacers on top) so there isn't alot of blowout with doubles. Most 2 wheeled sulky's and Proslide sulkies help striping as well. I have a 2 wheel one but the platform sits too high to do any good, although Jungle Wheels and Velke X2 sulkies usually have a low enough platform that the sulky contributes to striping a bit. Deck overlap on your passes will determine your stripes' definition also. Play around a bit with that and figure out what works best for you. I personally like it to be so that the rear tire passes go right beside the previous pass's rear tire marks because the tires do the most in striping so it gives a higher definition. This is part of why Dixie Chopper's stripe so well. On some mowers this might mean sacrificing cutting width (by overlapping more than necessary) so get your priorities in order, usually on a small lawn it makes little to no difference (a matter of a few seconds?) but on a larger lawn IMO just overlap only as much as needed to not miss grass blades and don't worry alot about striping, usually it looks ok anyway.

What mower you running- Brand/Size/fixed-floating/hydro-belt drive/engine brand, HP and number of cylinders ????

Happy striping,
    Eric

PS this pic is just a single stripe (no criss crosses) and it's before I had doubles on (just using medium lift blades and striping flap). Later hopefully I can get a better pic with double blades in use!

apr03195.jpg

7. KZ Lawn Care

KZ Lawn Care LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

Gordon,

Contact your local toro dealer. Toro has a striping kit for that. I have heard they do a nice job. If you have seen the toro commercial mower catalog, the pictures on the cover are done with the striping kit. Good Luck!

8. LawnMower

LawnMower LawnSite Senior Member

You know what I discovered? If I take the center blade off my mower it stripes better. Plus less where and tear on the machine. From now on im not going to run a center blade on any of my mowers.

9. The Lawn Boy Pro

The Lawn Boy Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Huh? If u take the center blade out, how does the middle get cut??? Do you overlap a BUNCH!!!!??????? Just sounds like more work to me, and its not makin a whole lotta' sense to me! :dizzy:

atlantec landscaping logo-small.jpg

10. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member