Lawn Stripping

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by wvale1, Jan 16, 2008.

1. wvale1

wvale1 LawnSite Member

I have been coming to this site for awhile now and just decided to sign up. I am just now doing research to start a new business. I am researching mowers and feel the only one's I can afford are W/B's. Do walk behinds leave the same distinct lawn stripes as a Z. I know that SCAG has a roller sytem that is designed just to leave stripping. Do any other brands use a similiar system? Thanks in advance for everybodies help.

2. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

My w/b stripes better than my Z. www.10elawncare.com all done by Lesco w/bs. I bought the Striping kit for my Lazer Z, it broke off. I'm almost positive that every manufacturer makes a striping kit for their mowers. What kind of w/b were you looking at? If your just starting out, I would say stick with a w/b its a lot cheaper than going out and buying a brand new Z and does just as good as one.

3. BUCKEYE MOWING

BUCKEYE MOWING LawnSite Bronze Member

Nice pictures and website raven !

4. Raven386

from CT

Thank You!

5. wvale1

wvale1 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the helpful info! The website looks great! I was looking at the Quick 36... I like the price, I have heard nothing but positve customer sevice feedback, and best of all it is a hydrostatic drive. All of this for the price seems like a great deal. I really do not want to mess with a used mower. I would rather start out new, then atleast I would now that proper maintenance was done everyday!

6. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Lawn striping is way over rated. Most people could care less.

7. atlcutah

atlcutah LawnSite Member
    from SLC, UT

But nice straight lines makes a big difference I think. I see alot of crews that have young kids mowing and they will mow in cirlcles with the 21" or they will mow really crooked lines. And from the street when the lines are jacked it makes the whole lawn looked jacked.

8. Raven386

from CT

yea i think i had one customer ever say they liked the stripes in the lawn. I notice, and when i see a lawn that doesnt have nice stripes it makes me think whoever did it was in a hurry or didnt care. I dont like leaving a lawn with crooked stripes or anything like that, and i always try to do different patterns in the lawn. checkers, or criss-cross, follow the outline of the lawn. just makes the lawn look better IMO.

9. DuraCutter

DuraCutter LawnSite Senior Member

EXACTLY!!! And this economy, if you're one of the only lcos bidding that do it, you're wasting time, money and profit doing it.

DON'T STRIPE if it won't make you more money!!!!!!!!

I'm not kidding, you'lll waste without knowing it.

:)

10. DuraCutter

DuraCutter LawnSite Senior Member

You notice it!!! right, you and maybe only you. Being too meticulous about unnecessary details costs the lco.

Drop it, IT'S NOT worth it UNLESS you get paid extra for it.

If no one is willing to pay extra, what's the use...huh!!!!

Don't be stupid, forget about it... you're in this to make money, not be pretty about what customers don't give a sh#t about.

:)