Lawn sweeper advise

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnkid14, Nov 9, 2009.

1. lawnkid14

lawnkid14 LawnSite Member

HI I just have a question about using a LAWN SWEEPER for fall cleanups. Are they any good and how good of a job do they do. Are them a time savor or what please help.:)
  2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I have one. It works pretty good on Pine Needles. I have a friend that has one too and he says they work great on Gumballs. I don't how they work on leaves. Most of the lawn sweepers aren't too expensive so even if you buy one and don't like it you won't be out much.
  3. 1993lx172

1993lx172 LawnSite Bronze Member

I use one for dethatching and picking up excess clippings in the spring. For picking up thatch, pine needles, grass clippings, basically heavier materials it excells at. It does ok with leaves but you have to take it slow or else the air movement from the brushes will cause them to blow out and you have to stop periodically and pack down the load so you can get more leaves in. I would suggest you mow all the leaves into a windrow and then pick it up with the sweeper. I would suggest a Brinley (sp) 42", I had one for seven years and it had seen a lot of use and abuse, i gave it to a friend of ours when I got a new one in the spring.
  4. ae lawn and snow

ae lawn and snow LawnSite Member

my experience deals with a push type lawnsweeper which uses the same principle. they work well for grass clippings, needles and occasional leaves. i wouldnt buy one for primarily picking up leaves because they fill up very quickly unless you mulch the material first. but for the money they are worth it.
  5. snowjeep

snowjeep LawnSite Senior Member

I got a agri fab smart sweet 44" off craigs list just to do leaves. Its the biggest I found and you have to go to slow and it fills to fast. Back back blowers are faster. The last 3 leaf clean ups it sat in the bed of the truck.
  6. corey4671

corey4671 LawnSite Silver Member

no no no no no no no no no no no no no no NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  7. Capemay Eagle

Capemay Eagle LawnSite Bronze Member

Mine works great. I use mine just at my home, not sure how it would hold up to commercial use. If you have one guy running the sweeper and one or two guys unloading it when you drop it, it is a real time saver. It fills up very fast.
  8. snowjeep

snowjeep LawnSite Senior Member

If you really want ill sell you the one I got $200. New its almost 400 and its been used 4 times.