Lawn Sweeper

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by precisionlawn, Mar 28, 2003.

1. precisionlawn

precisionlawn LawnSite Senior Member

Does anyone use this, or have you heard anything about it?
    Check it out here 36" lawn sweeper
    Would the dethatcher kit be worth it as well.
    Do you connect it to the back of your sulkie?
    or
    Is it in place of the sulkie?

I would think it would save alot of time doing cleanups!
    Opinions please

2. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

I have never used one, But I can tell you it is not intended for a Walk Behind. It is made to go on the back of a Rider.

3. GLS

GLS LawnSite Bronze Member

Is it a sulky? No. Would it work on a walk behind? No. It must be towed, so that would leave no room for one to stand.

I have one (doesn't have dethatcher on it), but I would not recommend one for commercial use.

How does it perform?

Well, it would work good if the lawn was completely flat. In order for the sweeper to pick everything up, the bristles have to be close to the ground. If there is a slight ridge, the bristles hang up on the ridge and stop the bristles from spinning. Since the bristles are powered by the wheels, when the bristles lock up the wheels lock up and it tears up the turf.

I would not recommend one of these for leaf removal. The hopper fills up far too fast.

What is it good for?
    Well, the only thing I would consider using it for is to pick up thatch (or should I say dead grass). However, I find it easier to bag them up with a mower.

4. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

This is what I use for gravel and wet matted down leaves.
    http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?threadid=42846

I had a Parker like the one in your pic and it worked for some things like apples and pine cones. I sold it to a guy who was going to use it to gather pine cones to sell to craft suppliers.

5. Tony Clifton

Tony Clifton LawnSite Senior Member

I was just reading this thread and either had a really good idea for my company and maybe others, or I had an idea that won't work. I have no experience with these blowers (I am in the SE NC where most trees are not deciduous) so I am not sure exactly how much power they have. I have a couple Chevy Cabovers with 18' landscape beds. I have always thought that these are the ultimate maintenace truck but am now a big fan of using these trucks for landscaping as well. They are great because you can wheelbarrow material on and off of them with great ease. The only drawback is that they do not dump so when it is time to get rid of a load fast the only option is to shovel it off which eats up man hours (we use the Newholland to pull material off the sides but the rach is not enough) I was wondering if one of these vaccuums could be used to suck material off of the truck (materials ranging from wet grass to sod waste to topsoil.)
    Thanks

6. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

Tony, is your post in the right thread? This is sweepers not blowers or vacs.
    As for your unloading problem look into one of those tarp unloder things. I think they are called easy unloader or something like that.

7. lawnmutt

lawnmutt LawnSite Member

We had one hooked to a velke 2 years ago we ran a 6 inch bolt through the back bottom of the foot plate (where your heels go) and a bar from the bolt to the front (where your toes would be) between your feet. The sweeper hooked on the tip of the bolt , nut it and your off. Oh ya watch your ankles in the turns.