Lawn sweepers info

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Tomuchmowing4me, Feb 19, 2006.

1. Tomuchmowing4me

Tomuchmowing4me LawnSite Member

I am looking to get a homeowner pull behind lawn sweeper. 42"-46" wide. I am looking at the Agri-fab, Brinly, Huskee, John deere(looks like a brinly made), Craftsman high speed ratio. Have any of you used these brands? What where your pros and cons? I just dont want to buy the wife a p.i.s. to use for the first time getting one. So I hope you all have some use on these and suggestions on this sweeper purchase. Thanks.

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Personally I don't like any lawn sweeper, They are a pain in the arss.
    You spend more time cleaning the sticks leaves ect. out of the brushes to keep them working right then using a rake. I mulch all leaves anymore with my mower (the one above).

3. Tomuchmowing4me

No homeowners use lawn sweepers? Just to many acres to be raking IMO. Need some insight on users pros + cons.

4. nmurph

nmurph LawnSite Senior Member
    from ga

my wife got me a agri fab 46" (?) with a 5:1 ratio for xmas. i had my eye on the craftsman with the 8:1 ratio. she totally suprised me, so i didn't have the heart to tell her what i really wanted. here where i live we have mostly pine trees and the oak leaves were already on the ground by xmas, but i will say that it did an excellant job on the straw. it also p/u the leaves, except where the ground is a little bare. i had to adjust the height to height of the grass. but where there were leaves on the grass, it picked them up just fine. i will be dethatching my lawn in a few weeks. i am anxious to see how well it picks up the thatch.

5. bif

bif LawnSite Member
    from PA

well...i used to have a 42" sweeper...Brinly I think, I got it from home depot...

it worked great, picked up just about everything, leaves, grass, small sticks, etc.

Big drawback.......you're done mowing, now you've gotta hook up your sweeper and go back over the lawn....add an extra hour or so on your mowing time, plus it was fairly big and bulky to store...

I sold it with that mower, then I bought a grass catcher with my next mower, and I like that a lot better...

good luck,
    Steve

6. Tomuchmowing4me

You mention 2 of the 3 I am down to picking. I am looking at the craftsman 42" high speed 8.5-1 with 12" sweepers, agri-fab 42" 5-1 10" sweepers and the brinly no info on that one yet, but looks well built. Do you think the high speed ratio and aliitle bigger sweepers will make any difference in pickup? Right now there is only $30-$40 difference in their prices.

7. Tomuchmowing4me

Just to update on the Brinly sweeper. I bought the brinly over the others. It has 6 total sweepers, 3 for each brush at 5-1 ratio. Where the craftsman high speed 8.5-1 ratio and agri fab 5-1 ratio had a total of 4 and only 2 per brush. The sears one had 12" brush and the other two had 10" brushes. The brinly brushes seemed stiffer to me. I figured if the sears was 8.5-1 ratio with 2 brushes turning and the brinly was 5-1 ratio with 3 brushes turning, its got to be doing just the same amount of brushing in the long run. Will give another update after this summers use. Darn thing better work and at least the wife is happy now too, no more raking.

8. nmurph

from ga

i had not gotten down to the nitty-gritty research on the sweepers i.e # of rows, stiffness of bristles, gauge of metal, plastic vs. metal gears. if the brinley uses 3 rows of brushes at 5:1, and the craftsman uses 2 rows at 8:1, the number if times the brush contacts the ground would be almost identical in a given distance if the wheels are the same size. i think the agri-fab is going to be ok for my yard.

9. nmurph

from ga

i had not gotten down to the nitty-gritty research on the sweepers i.e # of rows, stiffness of bristles, gauge of metal, plastic vs. metal gears. if the brinley uses 3 rows of brushes at 5:1, and the craftsman uses 2 rows at 8:1, the number if times the brush contacts the ground would be almost identical in a given distance if the wheels are the same size. i think the agri-fab is going to be ok for my yard.

sorry for the double post. what i wanted to add was that a wider sweeper might cause more problems with high-centering. i was not able to discover who manufactures the craftsman. i think that agri-fab makes their own equipment. depending on where you intend to purchase, tractor supply is good about returns as is sears, during the first 90 days.

10. Tomuchmowing4me

I bought the Brinly from Home Depot. The sears craftsman looked like it was made by agri-fab, just high speed ratio for more money with 2 rows of brushes too. Huskee was at tractor supply and wasnt very well built IMO with 2 rows. Choose the brinly because of the way it was built and 3 rows of brushes. Just hope it all goes well this summer. Hope this helps some other homeowner out on their choices. Wasnt to much out there on this subject.