lawn sweepers

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by evergreenmike, Oct 13, 2007.

1. evergreenmike

evergreenmike LawnSite Member

what does everyone think of lawn sweepers? do they work as good as a vac system mower?

2. Leaf Jockey

Leaf Jockey LawnSite Senior Member

It is my experience that a vac will pick up all the leaves in one pass. The problem is it only will pic up leaves. A sweeper will pick sticks, nuts and leaves. The drawback is sometimes it takes two passes or maybe follow behind with a blower if you want it perfectly clean. I'm talking about power sweepers here, not pull behind bristle brush sweepers.

Scott

3. DuraCutter

DuraCutter LawnSite Senior Member

A vac system works on the air pulling up debris such as pinecones, lawn clippings, acorns, pine needles etc...

A pull sweeper such as the husqy or John Deere have small stiff bristles actually "touch" the grass and physically sweep the debris into the hopper which is usually a plastic lined container.

The sweeper will beat the vacuum hands down in both speed and ability to pick up "everything including cardboard, bottles, diapers, needles, pens, socks, newspaper etc... :)

Where the vacuum come in handy is when you can blow the leaves on a hard surface such as cement or pavement... that's where the pull sweeper can't do a thing to pick up on hard surfaces...

I use the sweepers and the vacuums extensively in spring, summer and fall. Ask more questions if you wish.

We use the vacuum for parking lot cleanups as well. We also use The Tennant APLV. It's a vacuum on steroids meant to pick any kind of debris.

:)