Lawn Sweepers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by turfcare, Oct 7, 2003.

1. turfcare

turfcare LawnSite Senior Member

Does any one use these for picking up clippings and/or leafs. I use one the other day after dethatching a lawn and it worked wonders. This was a craftsman model. Are there any commercial models that anyone is aware of?

2. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Lawn sweepers work great for thatch but, fill up QUICKLY when leaves are involved. They also make nice stripes. If you go to sears there is a very large model that holds more.

3. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Parker makes commercial models. They work fine for grass and thatch, but as LC3 said, they fill up in no time for leaves and in my experience, they do not pick up mulched leaves real well. I would not recommend for using to pickup grass on a regular basis since this means going over the lawn twice. They do stripe the lawn good as LC3 said.

4. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

How would they handle big piles of grass?

5. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

They shouldn't really be used in a regular basis. If you are trying to get it all in one step then you will have to go in circles. If you don't want that circle look (ugly) you will have to go over it after mowing.

6. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I wouldn't personally recommend using a lawn sweeper. Not fun to work with, can't back up, and like said above, they fill up fast

7. The Lawn Boy Pro

The Lawn Boy Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

are absolute CR@P!!!!!

Unless you mulch leaves prior to using them, you'll find yourself dumping on every two passes. Yes, they are good for removing thatch mounds though, but you have to make sure the back is weighted down too, becasuse they flip up if they get stuck, and WILL hit you in the back of the head (at least on a tractor). Been there, done that. I had 3, all parkers. One was a 46, one 32, and one 30"er. The 30"er is the only one that still lives, all the other ones had dry rot on the bags. That was before they came out with vinyl bags too.:rolleyes: