1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lawn that makes me go hummm?.......

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Envy Lawn Service, Apr 25, 2006.

1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

OK, this lawn obviously had a fungus problem...

As it began to green up this spring I noticed partial but distinct fairy rings developing. So I did a soil test to confirm my thoughts there... and it did. Very low nitrogen levels and alkaline pH.

So I applied a fungicide and waited for a rain. One came the next day. So later on I went back and followed with a high-rate Ammonium Sulfate application (21-0-0). Well that afternoon it started raining again, and we got quite a bit of rain over the following days.

The 21-0-0 app was on 4/21 and a bunch of rain over the weekend. So I checked in on the lawn today 4/25. Not really the results I had expected. It has greened up some, but honestly it's more on the level of a 'post good rain greenup'. The rings in the turf are still greener, but less noticeable.

I'm kinda not sure what to think. With the rain we had, I expected more "responsive" results. So I'm sorta stumped.

Any thoughts? :confused:
  2. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

there must be old stumps or something under the soil there .if the fairy rings are persistent like over several seasons you cannot totaly eradicate the fungus that caused it . try a wetting agent and keep the area moist to see if new growth will occur .if not then the ornamental and turf book says the only way to get rid of it is to turn it into a landscape and forget it .hope this helps.
    also fungicides are almost usless here .
  3. Envy Lawn Service

While you are certainly correct, I can confirm this is not the case.
    Nothing under there but virgin dirt unless it was remarkably deep and just now decided to rot after more than 100 years.

The weird thing though is that I have seen more cases of fairy rings while passing through this neighborhood over the course of the last 10 years than I have seen elsewhere in my entire life. In fact, I'm trying to recall a case I've seen outside the area.

But I have a theory about this....

Anyways, I'm not so much complaining about the fairy rings, fungus and so forth. Nor are there any areas damaged severly enough to have my complaining about that.

The thing that has me stumped is the lack of response to the Ammonium Sulfate application (21-0-0). Man I'm telling you, I laid it to it! And it rained good and plenty on top of it (maybe too much).
  4. Envy Lawn Service

Anyone else with thoughts?
  5. The Kiwi Lawn Ranger

The Kiwi Lawn Ranger LawnSite Member

How many inches of rain did you have , I have had the same problem with applying fertaliser and then the rain literally washing it right thru the soil To much rain for the uptake of the nutrients .
  6. Choctaw Scalper

Choctaw Scalper LawnSite Member

Maybe those pesky aliens and their Crop Circles!!!!
  7. chimmygew

chimmygew LawnSite Senior Member

Why not ry a couple apps of liquid iron?
  8. Envy Lawn Service

Too much rain is possible. We had a lot over the weekend and some showers on Mon/Tue. Plus now it's been raining again all day today.

Anyways, I expected to see more greening from it than was present.
    I guess I'll just have to be patient and wait it out a little longer to see what happens.
  9. Envy Lawn Service

Yes, in my experience, that will green and improve the overall health of a lawn like this. Kudos to you for knowing that.

However, this doesn't explain the underlying cause for lack of strong response to a heavy rate Sulfur Nitrogen application and plenty of rain on top of it.

This is not the first time I have seen a 'slugish' response to a Nitrogen app on alkaline pH soil with depleted N levels. I mean it's like the soil is bound and won't take in the N or the roots are bound and won't take it up.

Anyways, my thoughts are that soils are not nearly as pH sensitive to applications over the long haul as most people believe they are. I mean I think that fertilizer apps only make temporary changes usually. And I find it is much easier to correct acid pH with lime than it is to correct the VERY FEW high pH soils I encounter.

With that said, usually these soils are best fed with Ammonium Sulfate and Sulfur coated Urea. This seems to offer a temporary root zone level pH adjustment, but not a permenant change per say.

Sooo... maybe this lawn might require an elemental sulfur app?
    It's not like the suppliers have that laying around for me to grab...
  10. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

If the dose of N had no effect, your pH might be off. Take a soil test. Low pH can seriously affect the plant's ability to take up nutrients.