Lawn tractor has no power

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by driley, Mar 26, 2008.

1. driley

driley LawnSite Member

Scotts 16 H lawn tractor - motor runs fine - belts are good - problem is I have no power in forward or reverse. Transmission seems like it's slipping. I want to know if there is way to put transmission fluid in. It acts like it is low. I can't figure where to check to see if fluid is low or if that is even what is wrong. Does anyone have any idea what the problem might be. This lawn mower is about 6 yrs old.

2. jkason

jkason LawnSite Senior Member

Hydro, right?
    Check the hydro relief valve on the back of the tractor. Just might be in the "Freewheel" positon.

Change the belt if it's glazed.

There is a way to check the fluid level, but only if it's a hydro. Remove the vent plug/hose from the transmission and stick a screwdriver (stick, pencil, etc.) until it hits the fluid. If the fluid is 3/4" to 1" from the top of the housing, it's full. Don't overfill this thing.
    If it's not a hydro, it has grease in it - you're pretty much hosed. New tranny is approx. $450.00.

If you are using this thing commercially - Junk it. It's not worth a repair to use this thing commercially.

3. driley

driley LawnSite Member

It is Hydro and the Freewheel is pushed in. Can you tell me where Remove the vent plug/hose from the transmissionis? Hate to sound stupid, but this was originally my son in laws and I have no manuals.

4. jkason

jkason LawnSite Senior Member

It is usually on the TOP side of the transmission.
    Plastic screw-in plug or hose clamped to a screw-in barb.

Usually, the plate in front of the seat unscrews to allow access to the belts and whatnot under the machine.

Just thought of something else - The wheels themselves are keyed to the axle shafts...Check to make sure the keys are in BOTH hubs of the wheels.

If you can't get to the top of the transmission easily, bring it to a dealer. Tell them to check the fluid level.