1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lawn Tractor Wars

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by valley boy, May 29, 2005.

1. valley boy

valley boy LawnSite Member

Doing one of my regular customers 3 yrs now and I noticed some one cutting the guy a few doors down with a Crapman Ride On. I keep see him turning around on the road and then back into the yard kind of dangerous move . So he completes this job leaving a bag of grass on the drive way for pick up 5 days latter . A few minutes latter he goes and does the guy next door I start to get concerned he,s taking his act door to door ( can you say
    Low- Baller ). He drives by me on his way home a few doors down , checks me out reel good , just as I expected he is about 15 yrs old.

A few minutes latter the old guy across the street fires up his Yard Man Ride On and cuts the yard . I think no problem good for the old guy , he keeps his place looking nice . A little latter the Old Guy takes off down the street on his mower I start thinking here we go again Low-Baller !!!! or is he going over to his buds place for a beer ??. I finish and drive off wondering if the Tractor Boys are taking over the Neighbor Hood !!! What next loose my customer to the Tractor Boys.
  2. freddyc

freddyc LawnSite Senior Member

Is it possible that the old guy is going to cut a relatives yard? This is common in my neighborhood where there are a lot of families close by.
  3. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

Sears here has 24hp Crapsmen's for $1499 on sale. Every time I pass HD somebody is loading a new green and yellow lawn tractor. My guess is that on an inflation adjusted basis, lawn tractors are about half the price that they were 25 years ago. There are financial experts on this site who could give you a precise number on the real cost. Meanwhile, commercial equipment keeps going up, up and away. Lawn tractors are all over the place down here, commercial and residential.

I just mowed for a lady that has a 48" Husqy in the shed for a 60' x 100' lot, but the doc said she can't go out in the heat anymore.

My neighbor buys a new MTD 42" every three or four years for less than a grand. He has calculated the overall cost savings over using lawn service, and I can't remember what it was, but it is significant. Of course, he is working his tail off mowing, trimming, and blowing 2.5 acres with all crap equipment. Another neighbor has burnt up three engines in five years on three acres but they are determined.

I sympathize and it bothers me too, but don't know that there is a thing that can be done about it. I'm certain it has a lot to do with driving down prices.