Lawn Tractors - which is best?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by A1 Grass, Jun 27, 2003.

1. A1 Grass

A1 Grass LawnSite Senior Member

I am looking to purchase a 42-48" lawn tractor for a couple of fields that I occasionally mow. I will be looking for used, so I was wondering what brand is reliable while being reasonably priced. My budget will most likely be about $1000.

I am NOT looking for advice on why not to buy a lawn tractor, I have my reasons. That in mind, any recommendations?

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

now when you say fields are you talking about athletic fields, or are you talking about huge acreage lawns?

3. A1 Grass

1/2 - 1 acre field. In the country. some grass - some weeds - a few holes!

4. tiedeman

from earth

ok next questions..how often are you going to mow it, is appearance a major issue, how much are you looking to spend? Do you just want a mower to mow?

5. A1 Grass

I mow them 1-2 times a month. I am not looking for yard-quality mowing. I am tired of jarring my kidneys on my 32" SCAG w/velke!

I want something that cuts and that might pull a small loaded cart or aerator.

My budget for a used one would be $1000-1300.

6. tiedeman

from earth

I know a lot of LCO's will laugh at this, but why not get a Craftsman.

7. jman00

jman00 LawnSite Member

buy a murray with an automatic transmission. I started my business with one of these machines then another and fianlly a commercial walkbehind then a Z.

Get a 42" it only has 2 blades instead of 3 and will cut better in tall grass. Theyre pretty quick too. Those 2 mowers made me alot of money and new are under 1000.

8. A1 Grass

I have thought of that and I couldn't care less who laughs.

I have managed to get by just fine on a lot of equipment that "LCO's" laughed at.

I just wanted to know if anyone has had any experience with the usuals - Craftsman, Cub Cadet, John Deere, etc.

9. pinnacle

pinnacle LawnSite Senior Member

Liquid cooled Kubota all the way
    A bit pricey but it pays to pay

10. tiedeman

from earth

My father has used craftmans for over 8 years now and they do a wonderful cut. The only down side to them is that they are not built TOUGH. We had to do a lot of welds on them.