Lawn Truck Build

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by GLC, Aug 30, 2013.

1. GLC

GLC LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

So, I have decided to attempt to build a lawn truck...may save on the wear and tear of pulling a trailer all the time and save some parking space. Should be interesting to follow. This project may take the rest of the season but we will get it done...Its a 1997 Chevrolet 2500. I plan on making it about an 8ft flat and 3foot dovetail...some overhang but should be able to carry the weight. It will be about 7ft wide because I want to carry two walkers side by side...I know, a little bit wide for a single axle but I will put spacers to help that situation...any thoughts comments and suggestions are welcome...

IMAG0799.jpg

2. weaver

weaver LawnSite Bronze Member

I thought about doing this so many times it's unreal.. I have so much free time with the winters we have around here but have never started doing one. There have been several on here over the years do some that where awesome though... I often thought of starting with a flat bed & building off of it with angle...

3. jsslawncare

jsslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

I've thought about it too. Keep us posted.

4. GQLL

GQLL LawnSite Senior Member

What size walkers are you running 7 foot wide isnt big enough of to 42 to go side by side you have to remember to account for some room between the mowers.

5. newguy123

newguy123 LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm subscribing.

6. GLC

GLC LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

Yes, it will be tight because I run two 42" walkers, but they will should fit nicely. I have an 84 wide trailer and they squeeze in there so on the flatbed with only like 6 inches of railing should go perfectly, may go like 86" to be a lil bit better...thanks

7. caseysmowing

caseysmowing LawnSite Bronze Member

I think you are going to be over weight for a 3/4 ton.

8. weaver

That's what I was thinking also.. It'll be close that's for sure...

9. ducnut

ducnut LawnSite Bronze Member

Head to the salvage yard, pull a 1T rear axle, wheels, and springs. They'll bolt right in. I'm not sure if you'll need brake line adapters, though.

I have a 7'X10' flatbed on a dually chassis. Running with the inner wheels removed really compromises the stability, even with the wide stance. By the time you throw that kind of weight up high and wide on your truck, you'll have stability issues, too, running single rear wheels on that narrow axle.

For sure, you'll need the bed corners illuminated, as well as a 3-across marker set on the back.

10. weaver

Can you post some pics of your setup when you get a chance?