1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Lawn Truck Build

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by GLC, Aug 30, 2013.

1. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

2. ducnut

ducnut LawnSite Bronze Member

^^^ Be sure to pick up one of those, too. :laugh:

3. zwhit81

zwhit81 LawnSite Member

I have been wanting to convert a truck as well. Is this even possible? I was wondering if I could use a 2010 F350 Duals to have a 11ft bed and 3ft dovetail? I would be hauling a 48" ferris and a 52" ferris. Too much weight? Thoughts?

4. peeklandscaping

peeklandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from CT

the aluminum dump body on that F250 in the 'before, after' picture is like the sweetest thing I've ever seen! Does anyone know where I can locate something similar in the Northeast (CT)?

5. ducnut

Dude! They're in Maine. :laugh:

6. peeklandscaping

from CT

Yeah I googled them and gave them a call actually- they have a shop in Litchfield CT actually.

7. ducnut

Don't let that price scare ya'. We want pics, too! :laugh:

8. peeklandscaping

from CT

well, the price for a flatbed on a Ford F250 extended cab short bed installed with dump hoist was $6,500. Sides were extra- $200 each, so 3 sides $600. 3 days to install. weighs around 300ib plus weight of actual hoist.
    so that versus dump insert would be, less weight, more space, cleaner look, stake pockets for easy leaf box construction/ stake sides/ whatever, the 'wow, cool' factor.
    Downside is that it's twice the price of a regular dump insert lol

9. peeklandscaping

from CT

10. jbell36

jbell36 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from KANSAS

keep in mind that you won't ever have to deal with rust…i can't stand rust…and you won't have to sandblast it and repaint it in the future, which is obviously an additional expense…if you don't' do snow removal and/or salt treatments then it won't be as big of a deal…i still don't think steal is a terrible idea, just something to consider