1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lawn Trucks

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by wacknsack, Jan 21, 2003.

1. wacknsack

wacknsack LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

We are in the process of expanding......We have been using pick-up trucks and enclosed trailers, but we want to look into using enclosed lawn trucks. We have seen the "Super Lawn Trucks" that are made in Bonaire GA; however, we would like to see more brands/models in-order-to make the oppropriate decisions. Some questions are: 1. Are trucks better/more efficient than the pick-up and Trailer? 2. Is the "Super Lawn Truck" the only "Lawn Truck out there? 3. What kind of price range can we expect to pay for a truck? Any type of information/help would be appreciated.

2. this is what we use its a 2000 f-550 with a landscape bed made by wil-ro mfg. of Gallatin, Tn., love it gets around great and hauls whatever you want, priced less than most truck and trailer combo's you see out on the road now.

3. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

Do a search for cube vans or box trucks. There are a few of us who have posted pics here.
  4. What about this sweet rig?

Them trucks you talking about are over priced.

mowr bed.jpg
  5. tsmiff1

tsmiff1 LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

That truck looks just like one I was going to buy in TX. Would you happen to know if that's where that particular truck is located? I swear that's it and the guy wanted only $5500 for it. It was clean but there was only one thing that bugged me; it was made from a former ryder truck. Another thing that I thought about, if it breaks down you don't have the option of just backing a spare pick-up truck up to and taking off. If the truck breaks down then your whole operation is at a stand still until the truck gets fixed.
  6. That truck is looooong gone.
  7. jkkalbers

jkkalbers LawnSite Member

those trucks are nice, but not practical for my situation. We are more into plowing and it would be really hard plowing with a truck like that, and i can't justify spending that much on a truck when it would sit 6 months.
  8. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

9. yergus

yergus LawnSite Member

10. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

we have two super lawn trucks, and my brother runs an open isuzu rig. we love ours, and had minimal probles, and yes, they are expensive, but probably will last to 200k. we like to think of the advertising value at around 200 month, or what you'd pay 1/4 of a billboard. you keep your equipment inside, and get around 14 mpg in these hills, and I've heard 20 mpg on the diesel in the flatlands. I would never go back to trailers. the open rig is cheaper, but your equipment can't be stored there all the time, and not a rolling billboard either. If you go open, I'd do it my brothers way- as big and as wide as you can get, and get a/c and power mirors. you'll have this truck aloooooong time. his is 20 ft x 8.5 w plus ramp, and a nqr i believe. daveg