1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lawn turning yellow/brown - what to use?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by jkr1, Jul 2, 2003.

1. jkr1

jkr1 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

I live in southern Ohio. My lawn is now starting to feel the effects of heat and not much rain the last couple weeks - turning pale green/slightly yellowish. What can I do? (besides watering the lawn, which is a problem since I have slightly over an acre) Would putting some type of fertilizer, like 15-0-0 be OK to do in the heat of July?
  2. kickin sum grass

kickin sum grass LawnSite Senior Member

if you put down any make sure it is at least 50%scu. Post a pic of the lawn and a close up of some blades of grass. You could have a disease so lets rule this one out. Is it turning all over or in patches. It is getting very dry here so I feel your pain.
  3. Rtom45

Rtom45 LawnSite Senior Member

It has been my experience, that if your turf is drying out from lack of rain, there is no substitute for water. We have been irrigating our baseball game field for a week now, we will start watering our softball field and our recreational fields tomorrow. Our soil in the Erie area has a large percentage of clay.
  4. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Depends on why it's turning yellow.

Since we have had 60"+ " of rain I have had to apply an additional fert app, I would look at a 18-2-18 25% bio applied at 1/2 rate, has worked great for me.
  5. ChickensDoo

ChickensDoo LawnSite Member

If the lawn looks "hungry", an application of an organic-based fertilizer would feed the turf with little risk of burn or promoting disease spread. Poultry litter based fertilizers actually suppress turf diseases.....