1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lawn turns orange...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JaK_uvall_trades, Mar 31, 2005.

1. JaK_uvall_trades

JaK_uvall_trades LawnSite Member

I take care of 6 sizable lawns in our complex and 1 of them turns orange every year. I have tried numerous things and am at a loss of what is causing it. Any help would be appreciated. :help:
  2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

3. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Need more info..Does the rusty color rub off with your fingers?What kind of grass is it?Can you find out?If the color rubbs off and is powdery it's rust.But if it has had rust continuous for a few years,then it is susceptible to winter kill and it's yellow and dead from that and won't be rubbing off.

Sterilize your blades and wheels if it's rust and step into a pan of bleach after leaving the lawn and before you go do another.
    Rust does not normaly become a problem intell summer,and I would think you would have spread it to your other lawns by now if it is rust.

For those two reasons I'm thinking it may not be rust.
    Mowing at recommended heights,organic fertilizing,and correct watering in hot dry weather will help to eliminate rust.
    I recommend you do a soil test because it could be chlorosis .Can you get a close-up pic?
  4. JaK_uvall_trades

JaK_uvall_trades LawnSite Member

I will examine it closely tomorrow and if it doesnt rub off I will take some pictures. Thanx for the heads up. :)
  5. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Do these people happen to water their lawn in the evening?
  6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

This is the time of year in our area that rust gets into the overseeded rye grass. See your local Lesco boys they can fix you up with a spray.