Lawn Vac Recommendations

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by r_snowrider, Jul 30, 2005.

1. r_snowrider

r_snowrider LawnSite Member

Hello everyone, I'm new here and I have been in business for 2 seasons. I specialize in general clean up, hauling, and some light demolition. Business is going pretty good right now for my stage of development.

I have a question for all of you. I want to get into another area of business this fall to make a little extra dough before winter hits. So I have decided to buy some lawn vacs. The two models I am looking at right now are the Craftsman 4 in 1 chipper blower vac, and the Yardman Chipper Blower Vac. These are relatively inexpensive models compared to some other brands (around $600) but they seem to be perfect for what I want to do. I have a large dump trailer and my plan is to go to the homes with a large amount of deadfall and vacuum it up, then once the is trailer full I'll dump. They both grind up the material into an 8 to 1 ratio which makes me able to fit more into my trailer than with a standard yard vac without the mulching capabilities.

My question to you guys is. Which model is the better bet? They are basically identical. But I don't know which brand has the overall better reputation, Yardman or Craftsman? I was just hoping you guys could chime in on any advice you have. Anything pertaining to my business idea, your experiences with either brand, or another recommended brand. (cost is an issue) I appreciate you help. Ryan

2. iluvscag

iluvscag LawnSite Senior Member

Get a billy goat, it will save you money in the longrun.

3. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

If you are trying to do this professionally, don't buy residential equipment. Check out the Billy Goat. It has been tried and tested for years now and I bought one at the end of the 2003 fall. It really proved itself in fall 2004. It saved so much time. You don't need the model with the chipper, you waste more time feeding the 1" of less branch into the machine than just breaking it and putting it the pile of leaves. Another thing, I bought the hose kit and shredder kit for mine, they are not worth the money. The bag on the Billy Goat is a lot bigger too so even in the densest leaves, you can make quite a few passes. The bags on the ones you mentioned will fill up almost instantly. HOPE THIS HELPS!

4. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

why not just blow everything into piles with the backpack blower, and then put it on a tarp, and drag the tarp to the trailer? it'd save ALOT more time then having to vac a lawn.

5. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

we do it both ways, blow them to the street/woods, or we have a preco type on one mower.

6. r_snowrider

Thankyou very much I appreciate the advice. I will look into the Billy Goat. Also, we will be running 2 machines. And I haven't done this yet so I don't know how much business we will be getting. The bigger duty ones will do it faster but I don't know if we will have enough business to make it worth the extra money, since we'll be running 2 anyway. But I am going to check into the Billy Goat right now. Thanks again

7. r_snowrider

That's not a bad idea, but the unmulched leaves will take up so much room that I will have to take numerous trip to the landfill, when I could be working. And I don't think people would be very happy if I blew them into their street or elseware. I think they would just do that themselves and save all the time of bagging and getting rid of them. Thanks for the suggestions guys

8. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

build sides on your trailer so you can fit more in... while guys are tarping go dump a load off (that doesnt sound right).

9. r_snowrider

I looked at the billy goat kd512 and I really liked what I saw. Also the price is less than what I thought AND it is SELF PROPELLED! I will have to see if I have any dealers around here. Thank you very much. If you have any more advice I would appreciate it.

10. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

you need self propelled. These things get heavy. If you have a trailer, build sides for it, then you will be able to carry more than twice the amoun that you will be able to carry in you truck, I did, it save my life. Good luck, i am happy to answer anwer anymore questions that you may have!