lawn vaccuums

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Wrobel#1, Mar 23, 2005.

1. Wrobel#1

Wrobel#1 LawnSite Member

Does anyone use the debris vaccuums the ones you push if so would you reccommend buying one or are they a horrible machine to use.

2. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

I've had two, a Toro and a Troy Built. I cannnot reccommed either. You are much better off getting a collection system for a ZTR. If you really feel the need for one, make sure you get one that is self propelled and shreads the leaves, other wise they are simply worthless.

3. JKOOPERS

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

complete waste of money .

4. BobR

BobR LawnSite Senior Member

Have had Troy Built & Billy Goat (both top of the line models) couldnt get rid of them fast enough... Both did a nice job BUT took forever to do it, dont mean to swear but a tarp n rake are much more efficient than any free standing lawn vac / shredder that normal LCO's would be purchasing.

BobR

5. Skookum

Skookum LawnSite Senior Member

I purchased a Parker several years ago. Worked great picking up stuff, but even though the dealer swore it mulched at about 8-10x reduction, it did nothing to the leaves, bag was full in a matter of minutes. It was a total pain to empty. I took it back and got my money back. A cheapo lawn sweeper was better than that thing.

I use a Commercial Cyclone Rake, holds more than anything I have seen for any Z. It also works on any brand of tractor, or Z. It comes apart and folds up which is great for storage. It also works great for cleaning out beds with the pickup hose. I purchased it also with the idea that it can easily be made to work as a truck loader since the motor and impeller are a seperate unit.

6. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a billy goat that I like to use and it works great in a number of ways. I think they are best suited to impeccably maintained small properties. They are great at finishing up small piles, cleaning corners out, and more. Not for large scale use. I usually get up the bulk of leaf piles with rake and tarp and then finish with the billy goat. Gets up all that's left . Great in the wind too if you clean out some beds you can suck the crap right up before it blows all around. I also like that you can devour a good size pile and then it's all in a bag on wheels to move to where you need it, like the street. Then, it's even shredded so it doesn't blow all around (the pile of leaves that is). But, you'll find you either like it a lot and find it useful or you'll find it's not what you expected. It won't pick up massive piles or large sticks, but it has a little niche I believe it fills very well.

7. The Dude

The Dude LawnSite Member

They make a hose attachment thats great for behind bushes and in beds. The bag fills up quick, we used to take it off and blow it on a tarp if we were sucking up a large pile.