Lawn Vacs Billy Goat vs Little Wonder

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LawnVet, Apr 8, 2008.

1. LawnVet

LawnVet LawnSite Member
    from SE MI

Anyone have an opinion or experience that could help push me off the fence between lawn vac options? Looking at Billy Goat or Little Wonder, probably a walk-behind unit as opposed to a push type, to meet the needs of small leaves (locust trees, willows, etc) and still pick up the large oak and maple volumes in the fall. Anything would be helpful -

2. DuraCutter

DuraCutter LawnSite Senior Member

Little wonder any day of the week. Billy goat is not as strong and can be very expensive. Older models, don't go near them, they are tanks and don't suck up any more than a house vac.

Little wonder picks everything, you have to watch out what you pick up.

The size of the suction blades is unreal.

:)

3. LawnVet

LawnVet LawnSite Member
    from SE MI

Thanks - guess I'll take a closer look at the LW first. Any size preferences (HP, etc)?

4. TPnTX

TPnTX LawnSite Bronze Member

I rented a huge billygoat a few weeks ago. It was a waist of time and money.

So I demo'd a KV unit the other day. Granted the demo unit has some service issues that if fix would make it much better however, I would not waiste my money on a billy goat. Clogs up. Very frustrating. I took it back and the rep from billy goat was there. He was in a rush so we didn't have a chance for him to see what I found disappointing. We'll see what comes from it. At this point billy goat is a complete waiste of time/money for me.

I wonder how this company would feel knowing their product is costing companies money and time.

5. LawnVet

LawnVet LawnSite Member
    from SE MI

TP - thanks for the input. I figured the BG was not as solid as the LW just baised on the fact that the BG is all plastic and the LW is solid metal. I had heard good things about BG's other products and the fact that the BG and the LW were about the same price had me thinking that the looks were deceiving...guess not in this case.

6. TPnTX

TPnTX LawnSite Bronze Member

The demo unit, visually appeared in decent shape. The honda motor was hard to start, i had to use startfluid when it was cold. The rep was quick to blame that on poor performance. I disagree. Once it warmed up it wasn't an issue.

So all the engine/starting problems aside, my review of the BG consists of the two modes of operation. Using it with the hose and without.

Withought the hose the unit did just okay. It would suck up a lot of leaves. However if you trying to clean up fall leaves that are matted down you have to loosen them up a little. At which point the things struggles and gets clogged.

With the hose is the worst. 1st it has the plastic/composit hood that swivels down by means of a lever. This hood will cover the mouth of the unit re-directing the vacum to the hose. Again this unit didn't appear abused or worn out. This hood thing has way too may places for the air to escape. Big gaps which don't allow it to seal so to speak. At best it sucks okay. But then after a little use it clogs and won't pick up a leaf. It's not the hose or opening or the impeller. You can't find a clog anywhere. Eventually and with some banging on the cavity it will clear. But its happens too often and it will frustrate you.

So Next I thought maybe this lack of proper seal was the issue. So I duct taped the crap out of it. I sealed it completely. It certainly improved the vacum. It will suck up leaves quickly. Then it cloggs.

So this demo may give an unfair evalutaion but it doesn't look like it's been used commercially. Billy Goat needs to reclaim this demo because it ain't doing them any good.

I have a call into a LW rep. I want to demo one of theirs next.