lawn vacuums?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by doubleedge, Mar 9, 2008.

1. doubleedge

doubleedge LawnSite Senior Member
    from ND

Are they worth the money? The main thing I will be using them for is grass (after being dethatched) and leaf cleanup. I would be mainly using one in small areas that pull behind vacuums wouldn't work in.

2. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

I have a Cub chipper vac 9hp and it does a great job with leaves in the fall and for spring cleanups, its a real time saver. I only use this machine on small lawns and tight areas around commercial buildings for larger lawns its big backpack blowers and tarps. I also have an 8" hose attachment that comes in handy for sucking out window wells and stair wells it also works great for sucking up shrub trimmings in landscapes, works better than a blower. I got mine from my father in law and it was in almost new condition and works great, I never thought about getting one before but now that I have it, I have found several uses for it. Try to find a good used one before buying new, sometimes you can find really good deals out there.

3. doubleedge

from ND

Anyone else have experience with these?

4. TheTurfTender

TheTurfTender LawnSite Member
    from Mn

This tarp deal.....You just lay the tarp out, blow the leaves into it, and dump the tarp in your trailer? Is that how it works?

5. lawnpro724

What we do is blow leaves into several large piles then lay the tarp next to the pile and rake or blow them onto the tarp then drag the tarp to the burn pile. We are still able to burn leaves around here at least for now. I also bring along my small tank sprayer filled with water to due a controlled burn since most of the large cleanups we do are around the lake area. The lawn vac work great on smaller residential lawns and when it get full we just lay a tarp out and dump the bag onto it and when finished drag it onto the trailer and go unload.

6. RICHIE K

RICHIE K LawnSite Senior Member

We have 2 Billy goat vac and they both sit there all the time. Once and a while we use it to vac parking lots

7. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a Billy Goat vac as well. It's great for parking lots but not good at all for picking up tons of grass. I use a TTHP with an Accelerator bagger to pick up the thatch.

8. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

Would one of these yard~vac's have enough power to suck up acorns...or those dreaded gum-tree spiky balls?

9. lawnpro724

Mine does as long as their laying on top of the ground and not embedded in the ground. It really comes down to how much suction the vac generates and that comes down to engine size and type of impeller. big backpack blowers works better for us with acorns and sweet gum balls the vac will get them up but the blowers are much faster. Lawn vacs have their uses, you just need to experiment to find where their use will work better for you. Are blowers see a lot more use than the vac but there are times when nothing will work better than the vac. If mine wasn't free I doubt I would have spent the money for one since it doesn't get used enough to justify the cost but there have been times that I was very glad to have it.

10. doubleedge

from ND

A TTHP? Whats that?