Lawn vs Landscape

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by G&Plawn, Aug 3, 2003.

1. G&Plawn

G&Plawn LawnSite Member

I am a new LCO, I am inquiring about the legal side of the difference between the work. Whats the line between lawn care and landscape work. I recently removed some shrubs from a location and laid new cracked granite would this work be considered landscape work or lawn maintenence? I dont want to gt into legal trouble.

2. GLAN

GLAN Banned

It's considered landscape work.

Licensing and Insurance there is little difference. At least where I am. Both are lumped into one catagory. For licensing it is all just a contractor license.

Insurance there is a difference on whether you do pesticides with your scope of work and if you are doing tree work. Very hard to get insurance when doing tree work.

3. Lombardi

Lombardi LawnSite Senior Member

What you did, I would consider landscaping. What legal trouble do you think you can get into? In my area lawn/landscape is classified in the same category for insurance use. Just remember to call Dig Rite or whoever the company is that locates all utilities prior to digging.

4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Like GLAN and Lombardi said, that's landscaping.

Don't know the particulars of ND, but here in NJ rates for Workmans Comp are lower if your business is lawn mowing vs landscaping (majority-wise). You might want to check into that.