Lawn watering program?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Dunn's, Aug 3, 2006.

1. Dunn's

Dunn's LawnSite Bronze Member

Does anyone offer a lawn watering program, especially during these hotter months. We where thinking of offering it for a 10-15 dollar one time service charge where we would turn on their sprinkler after we cut and come back around and turn it off within the next 4-5 hours. What do you guys think all of our customers are in a 2 mile square radius from our office so its not a far drive to go back and get them and we are almost always within a 1/2 mile of the yard after we cut.Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated we are thinking this may eliminate the older clients we have not wanting their lawn cut do to lack of growth,they want to water it but it's hot and they are older so aot they are just to tired to do it.

2. dcgreenspro

dcgreenspro LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

bad things will happen if you were to water somebody's lawn midday in 95 degree heat.just my 2 cents

3. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

4 hours would waste a lot-- also most people that water their grass with a hose have to move the hose every 20 min or so.

"Mrs. Smith, We now have a watering service-- It will cost $2880.00

we call it irrigation

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Many years ago I offered that service to customer that were within a mile of my house. I charged $5 to drive over and set the water and turn on the timer. The timers would count down and shut off. That kept us mowing all summer.

5. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

I do this currently for 3 customers who have moved and have their house for sale that dont want their yards dying with the heat. I mow that lawn first in each subdivision and then go cut 4 other yards. After Ive cut 2 yards, I go and move the sprinklers around so the yard is getting about 3.5 hours of watering which keeps in halfway green. Adding $10 on to each cut doesnt seem like much but it feels alot better to be getting paid $40 instead of $30 for an extra 2 minutes of work. And for me, I have found no problems with watering in 95+ heat, Im doing it right now on my own yard and its as green as it was in april or may

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

It doesn't hurt anything to water in the heat. In fact, it is beneficial to the turf. It cools the plant, the rhyzomes, and soil. The main reason to NOT water during the heat of the day is because of the water usage (evaporation). It often outweighs the benefit when you are able to water during the morning hours, anyway. But for the idea of making an extra 10 bucks for an extra 2 minutes work, that just isn't happening. You have the time driving over, doing it (turning back of and/or winding hoses), and the drive back. Now, minus your fuel. When you add it up, you're not making much. Better money could be made elsewhere. What about places that the sprinklers have to be moved? For those lawns that are small enough that no heads need to be moved, Home Cheapo sells the tiers that go on the spiggots that can be programmed. You can even set 3 different times on them. They are about 30 bucks.

7. Dunn's

yeah I water my yard from 3-5:00 pm as well and as you may know we havent had much rain here all summer. and I'd say my long looks fine.

IMG_2786.JPG

8. Dunn's

i'm not trying to make money off the watering service but by the grass continuing to grow so i don't have to argue with customers about there grass growing even though they probably still will because I cut at 3 inches and they try and say there grass doesn't need cutting even when it's six inches. I know it cause they are cheap but this could help stop some of them from arguing.

9. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

Actually, I would say that I can get the sprinklers set up in less than 2 minutes. 1 sprinkler on both sides of the house that only has to be extended 10 feet to water properly only takes me a few seconds. As for gas, none is used when you have 5 houses to mow that are lined up basically right next to each other. And in this 95+ weather we've had for about a week, it feels pretty good to walk through the sprinklers every now and then. Its definately worth it

10. dcgreenspro

dcgreenspro LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

all's i am saying is that it is not practical to have sprinklers running in the middle of the day. I have dragged hose on a golf course for ten years and dealing wiith the bent in the summer, you can only cool off the plant with a little shot. you have to repeat this action throught the hottest part of the day many times. When the sun is starting to go down, then you can really get some good handwatering in. is that what you guys mean, watering heavily in the evening, so the plant takes up what it needs and the rest evaporates? or, are you guys talking about running them all day?