Lawn Watering Program...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ztrguy, Aug 4, 2006.

1. ztrguy

ztrguy LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE FL

Anyone offer a Lawn Watering Program for those that will not pay for professional irrigation setup? I'm thinking of offering $45/month (example..) to water customers lawns a couple times per week. Will include water hoses and sprinklers. Just swing by early in the morning before they wake up and turn them on. Maybe let them run from 5:00am - 7:00am. It would bring in a little extra if you did it for most of your customers. Figure $45/month for 10 customers....that's $450/month. That will make a nice monthly payment on something. Any takers?

2. Kevin at Atlas

Kevin at Atlas LawnSite Member

unless they are providing hoses/sprinklers you are not charging enough. If you have to go back and move the hoses around to water the entire lawn, you are also not charging enough.

3. ztrguy

from NE FL

I was planning on having enough hoses and sprinklers so I would NOT have to go back and move them. Like you said, you would have to charge more. Also, I would provide the hoses and sprinklers. I know what hoses and sprinklers I like to work with. Some of the hoses and sprinklers are not worth it, so I would pick them up for the customer. I haven't really put it down on paper how much to charge. I just through the $45/month out there....showing you could make some easy money with 10 accounts. Most customers here don't have the time or just plain can't get out and about to water their lawn. I think it would go over fairly well around here.

4. 2menandamower

2menandamower LawnSite Member

Why not just sell them a timmer and set it up for them. One time setup fee and add a little to your equipment. You can run 2-3 timmers in line so that water pressure don't fall off and the heads just spit water. Set the one at the house to run for say 1 hour and then set the other to come on in 20 minute intervals and you have 3 zones. You can have 2 heads on each zone. Using 6 heads (about 10.00 each) about 6 long hoses and about 3 5 foot hoses (buy one long one and the ends and make them yourself). Presto an irrigation system for about 400.00 cost and you price it to them for 600.00 set up and when you mow you monitor it and charge them for that too.... This is for sure a redneck way of irrigation....

5. ztrguy

from NE FL

This is just a lawn watering program that's easy on the wallet. If I'm going through all of that trouble and expense then I'm going to do a pro install. Just wanted to offer something extremely cheap to those that can't afford a professional irrigation system. Sounds like a good idea though!

6. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

Something you need to consider if you do what you are speaking about in your first post. If you furnish the hoses and sprinklers and in between your days to service them the hoses and/or the sprinklers disappear --- who is going to replace them ?

7. ztrguy

from NE FL

Great post! The customer will be responsible for everything left on the lawn. If something disappears they will be responsible. I plan on setting them out and removing them each day. Can't just leave a bunch of sprinklers and hoses on the lawn every single day. But if they are damaged or disappear while the lawn is being watered.....it's on the customer!

8. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

The problem I see with this is someone is going to complain that their water bill is $200.They'll blame you and you'll end up having to pay their bill instead of making $45.Make sure you cover yourself ,as far as their water bill goes.

9. ztrguy

from NE FL

That's a sad, but very true statement. I'll have to notify them that I won't be using my own water. It will be their water coming out of their hydrant. I won't be responsible for higher water bills. I will be responsible for watering their lawn. What if they say there is a 5 foot area that didn't get watered? I think you can only go so far with the what-ifs. There has to be a line somewhere that basically says ok I'm saving you the time and hassle of watering your lawn and you're paying me $45/month for my time and hassle. You can try and wiggle your way out of every single thing now days. Walk away from "those" customers. Anyway, good question. I'll be watering your lawn lady, not paying your water bill!

10. kipper

kipper LawnSite Member

I have done what 2menandalawnmower recommended. It works great. I ran the hoses under pinstraw and actually dug up a small path to bury one hose. This will work great for a cheap install and very reliable so far. I bought all of the components from lowes. One zone cost roughly $90.00 and i sell them for $125.00. The only weird part is remebering to change the batteries in the timers.