Lawn watering

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Joel B., Jun 5, 2006.

1. Joel B.

Joel B. LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

Our city (Minneapolis area) is on an odd-even watering schedule which means I can water either every other day or every fourth day. "They" say an inch of water per week is recommended so if I water every other day that would mean roughly a quarter inch of water each time which is not good for the grass. So that leads me to watering heavily every fourth day but during hot weather that sure seems like a long time between waterings.

What do the experts recommend?

Thank you for any advice,

Joel B.

2. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

a well maintained yard should be able to go 4 days after an inch of water....I would venture to say that a well maintained lawn could proably go 7-8 days bewteen watering if your getting 1" each time...

i agree that the 1/4" waterings are pretty useless....

3. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

first mow at 3.5 to 4 inches then only mow when it is cool out this will save you tons of water. then I would water twice a week long periods.

4. Joel B.

from MN

My system would have to run most of the day to get an inch. How does 1/2" every 4 days sound? Would 1/2" every other day be too much?

Thank you.

5. MarcSmith

you could run 1/2 of your system one day and the other half two days later still falling with the 1" every four days guideline...

I have several timers that i either have to start watering late in the day for it get through an entire cycle, or break up the cycles, like turf one day, and shurbs the next, ect... or front back... sprays, rotors...

6. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Water deeply and infrequently. It will all depend on your soil and slope as to how much penetration the watering will get and how much runoff might occur. In sandy loam soil an inch of water will penetrate 12-14" and establish a deep root zone. If you do choose to split up your watering you may be able to loop the program if your controller is designed for this. Looping will allow zones to be watered 3-4 times in one program and lay down enough water each time just before runoff occurs.

7. MarcSmith

purp is talking about a using a multi program controller. with some older analog style clocks you may not be able to do this.... But most of the newer digital clocks have multiple programs. FWIW..

8. Ground Master

Ground Master LawnSite Senior Member

type of turf?
    soil type?
    root zone depth? (best guess?)

9. Joel B.

from MN

Bluegrass
    Clay
    No idea

10. MarcSmith

since its clay, you'll definitlyhave to stagger your run times, I don;t think there is any way to get 1" of water into clay in one application without experienceing some run-off