Lawn Watering

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by lawnboy349, Jul 11, 2007.

1. lawnboy349

lawnboy349 LawnSite Member

I have a customer who has a house for sale here and they live in New York. They obviously can't water the lawn and so they have asked me to. It's already dying so if I don't start watering it, I won't be mowing it anymore. So my question is how should I charge for the watering. I was thinking maybe a per hour cost, where i record the time I spend going there turning on the water and also turning it off. Then charge accordingly. Any opinions or suggestions. Thanks

2. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

You could set up the sprinklers and put them on a timer.

3. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

I think he's talking about my thread. Just set up a timer w/ some sprinklers & leave it there.

4. bluflame1914

bluflame1914 LawnSite Member

don't mean to thread jack, but in georgia they have this watering restriction and I was thinking about like getting a big tank on a truck and water peoples lawns. what do you guys think of this. price? frequency?

5. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

That's dumb. Think about it. Where are you going to get the water? The restrictions apply to you too!

6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

WE used to do this to help older people and get extra cuts....we charged to go to house to move sprinklers and reset timers. It works great.....20 years ago we would charge them $10 for a setting....probably a little more now. We expected customers to pay for hoes and timers and sprinkler because there was or is a risk of them being taken.