Lawnaire 28 aerator - new user

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Terraformer, Feb 10, 2008.

1. Terraformer

Terraformer LawnSite Member

I picked up a used Ryan Lawnaire 28 for a very good price. Less than 10 hours on it. I was hoping to get some input on the use and maintenance, on this model, from members with experience.

2. magland

magland LawnSite Member

The LA 28 is slower than the Lawnaire 4 or 5. It is easier to maneuver around, but it just doesn't go as fast. It will pull a ton of plugs regardless if the soil is moist or dry. And it throws the plugs up and out, so you're pattern doesn't have to be as tight. You can't get into tight places, so there will be spots in lawns you just can't do. At first I tried, but it's a real pain to pull the machine backwards. It takes hills pretty well. I usually just go up and down. Be careful around tree roots, water main shutoffs, concrete, basically anything hard. The machine will jump up and can really hurt your hands/wrists. Just remember the machine is a lot heavier than a lawnaire 4 or 5, so it can be tricky on slopes.

Make sure all nuts and bolts are tight. The vibration keep loosening them, so I put on lock nuts. I have heard of issues with springs and belts falling off, throttle cables breaking, that sort of stuff. My main issue was the nuts coming loose and the machine literally falling apart. Once I fixed that, it ran great.

3. Terraformer

Magland -thanks for the input. I go through the machine this winter. Since I'm a big believer in Lok-Tite, the Lawnaire will get the treatment. I wanted to get a heavier unit, because so many people complain about the lighter ones - regardless of manufacturer - beating them up. I've told the Lawnaire 28 @ 400+ lbs. is much nicer to operate. I'm not planning to use it on slopes, except minor swales and such. I'm not to worried about the speed of the LA 28, because I also have a 60" Aeravator that I attach to my Grasshopper 928D for bigger jobs. Besides, I couldn't pass up this deal since it was only a few years old and less than 1/3 the price of new.

4. Terraformer

I got the Lawnaire 28 into the heated portion of my shop yesterday. I want to go through it and get it ready for spring. This thing is definitely an industrial machine... built like a tank. Everything is in very good condition and the Briggs Vanguard 7.5 starts with a single pull and runs fine. This is the first Briggs I've owned in many years, and it's obvious they have come a long way.

Besides basic maintenance (oil, filters & lube), the only thing I have found needing replacement are the bicycle grips on the operator bar - they are hard rubber and twist easily. I'll replace them with a pair of cushioned Harley grips.

It ain't pretty like some of the newer WB aerator on the market, but it sure looks to me like a serious unit capable of taking good deep plugs in all conditions.

5. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

:confused:
    Does this unit only have a powered forward drive and not a reverse? Is it variable speed in either direction?

6. magland

magland LawnSite Member

Only goes forward with tines up or down. You have to pull it backwards with tines up. It's pretty heavy, so you don't want to get yourself stuck in a corner.