Lawnaire 28 or Rock Solid PL600

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dmc456, Sep 24, 2003.

1. dmc456

dmc456 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm looking at getting a walk behind aerator and would like to see some pros and cons of both machines from people who have them.

I can purchase a used but in good shape Ryan Lawnaire 28 for the asking price of $900. I probably can go a little lower. If I purchase a used one, what should I look for on one of these machines. I demoed it and it was very nice. How does it do on med to small hills? Will it pull itself up hills?

I am also looking at a Rock Solid PL600. It looks good. I have never seen or tried one other than the video online.

I'm would be using it on small lots and hills.

Thanks

David

2. Buba

Buba LawnSite Member
    from PA

That is a deal for a used Ryan 28. Don't know much about Rock Solid, but I do know that Ryan invented the aerator and that everybody around here uses them. I would demo the unit before purchasing it to make sure that the unit isn't worn out.

3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I own 2 PL600's. They have been bullit proof and the cam system does a much better job of aerating and seed prep than any drum type aerator.

4. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I demoed Plugr last fall.....definetely on my list....at the top. Hoping to get one next spring. I currently use a bluebird and it pulls nice plugs and all....but you talk about a work out!!! Next on my list will be the "perforator" for my Walker. As like the Plugr, designed by Rock Solid.

Good luck
    MATT

5. KLawn

KLawn LawnSite Member

The Plugr is a great machine!!! If you have a chance, at least demo it before you buy anything else.

6. dave80

dave80 LawnSite Member

How much does the PL600 model cost?

7. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

Anyone got a pick of one of these plugrs?

:D

8. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

9. dmc456

dmc456 LawnSite Senior Member

I looked at the used Lawnaire 28 today. It seems to be in very good conditions. All the bearings are tights and everything seems to rotate very smoothly. You can tell the units has been taken care of or not used very much. The belts are a little dry rotted. How much work is it to change the belts? It looks like a nightmare job. What do the belts cost. I probably would change them all before using. I would hate to get a bunch of jobs lined up and have a belt brake.

10. kels

kels LawnSite Senior Member

Why the 600's and not the 800?