Lawnboy 22271/Toro 22156 update

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by greenerman, Apr 29, 2010.

1. greenerman

greenerman LawnSite Member

Well I finally found a limit to how much I can mulch with my new Lawnboy. Lawns that I have fertilized can be a challenge as just too much spooge is left behind for my liking. I would have to go around and pick up bits or blow them somewhere. I decided to try and bag those particular lawns before somebody bitches. I put on the bagging blade and it bags great! Fills the bag right up tight like an HRC 216. I also found out that it actually mulches better with the bagging blade cause the mulching blade would pack up the deck with too much grass and not let it fall, thus eventually clogging. ( while mulching thicker, longer lawns ) I had one side drive gears fail and replaced them, easy and cheap. The mower always kinda buzzed when I would be moving it around to load etc. since new. I didn't think anything of it but I guess there was a problem with the gears. The dealer had to order the parts in as he said they have never had to replace any. I adjusted the valves once. So far no other problems or complaints. Oh, the drive could be stronger up hills in thick grass. On the other hand it's nice that it doesn't spin patches in lawns when starting out. Would I buy another? You bet. I used my HRC one day to see the difference. I was tired after two lawns, that thing is a tank! Going back to the Lawnboy feels like using a homeowner push mower, it's just so light and maneuverable. For my lawns it has been a good ( lucky ) choice of mower.

2. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

still it only has one ground speed -too fast!

3. greenerman

greenerman LawnSite Member

The one speed is no problem at all, as you just feather the bail contol. I have wondered why some mowers like the Toro HD even have three speeds as it's just not necessary. You go as fast as you want with the single speed. I find that full speed is not "too" fast. It's a good qick pace for larger yards. The single speed is simple, saves weight and for me anyway works great. As I mentioned a while back that I was searching for a lighter 21". There aren't too many choices. I was skeptical about this mowers performance, but it is so far turning out to be what I had hoped for. Again for "my" needs.

4. lawnboy dan

well that single speed isnt much good here in thick st aug grass. you need all the traction and pulling power you can get. slipping the belt will only result in the mower stopping in the thick grass.

5. jacksnipe

jacksnipe LawnSite Member

I too find the mower to fast to walk behind. I'm used to the old 3 speed lawnboy we still use & have modified the new toro 22156 with a larger cast iron pully 3.5" diameter along with a 1" longer belt. I am happy to report that it is a lot better for my use. Note" I had to remove the original pully form steel cover & fab a new unit off to the side to operate the bail, this was not to difficult using the holes in the transmission & the original cover as a guide. The new pully is drilled & pinned the same as the original 2" diameter unit

6. BrunoT

BrunoT LawnSite Senior Member

Just don't squeeze the handle up all the way! I leave my toro HD in 3rd gear and can go any speed I want using two fingers. The previous post was correct, they don't even need 3 gears and I have never changed mine out of 3rd.

As for belt-slip transmissions, almost all are some form of that except for Honda, right?
    I mowed St. Aug with an old Toro that used that method and it did just fine. At some point a too-direct wheel engagement just spins the wheels and as another post said damages the turf. You figure that at some point if the mower bogs the drive system down you're going up something really steep or mowing grass that is insanely overgrown ( I know how St. Aug grows). When I hit steep stuff my wheels lose traction before anything approaching bogging the wheels occurs. (grass being softer than steel and hard plastic)

The main advantage of this new Toro is the light weight combined with some commercial features. 35-40 fewer lbs matters when you are jockeying it around, when you are starting up at a row going uphill and trying not to tear grass, and if you ever need to carry it up/down stairs on lift it onto a trailer.

I can see now why I hear reports of the Toro HD commercial units having drive system problems. They're so heavy I can "feel" the strain on the transmission.

And what is with the super thick and heavy decks? What are people doing to these things that this is necessary? I've never even had a crack in a cast aluminum deck.

I also consider the lack of bbc a plus for anyone who isn't bagging. Saves weight, complexity, cost, and space under the deck for mulching.

7. lawnboy dan

the only thing we agree on is bbc isnt necc. jacksnipe-glad to see someone who agrees that the 1 speed trans is too fast! i often thought if there was a way to change the pully size to slow it down, slipping the belt is not the answer

8. bare spot

bare spot LawnSite Bronze Member

have one of these, it's nice to cut with. if had to buy another, i would.

9. jacksnipe

jacksnipe LawnSite Member

When I decided to change the ground speed on the new Toro unit it was a little trial & error to find the sweet spot for my use. I removed the plastic covers as needed & examined how the original set-up was engineered & made the necessary improvements by gradually increasing pulley diameter to approx. 3.5" Note: on the first go around I went too large to almost 4" & lost control of the bail handle because the replacement belt was way to tight amoung other critical issues. Working in a machine shop helps with modifying the new pulley by boring & sleeving the new pulley bore to .472" diameter. Cast Iron Browning Part # AK34 Grainger Part # 3X773
    I purchased a New 5mm Roll Pin from Fastenal & drilled & reamed the new pully to install it to the transmission shaft, Fastenal sku # 40592 M5 x 40MM heavy duty spring pin. The bracket that bolts to the transmission for the bail operation is another matter which could be fabricated to suit.. The new Belt is 3L340 heavy duty available at McMaster Carr in Chicago Il.

10. Manorscape

Manorscape LawnSite Member
    from PA

The 3 speed on the Toro HD is very useful. Yes with a single speed you can feather the belt to vary your speed, but youre not getting the torque multiplication a lower gear gives you.

I use 3rd geard most with my Toro HD, but sometimes second gear is very useful. On hills for example, the lower gear will let you feather still, pull the loaded mower/bag around without spinning the wheels, and give your feathering hand a break too. I rarely use first, but I have on occasion.

I miss 3 speed gearboxes on light mowers.