lawnboy 4.5 hp silver series?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fga, Aug 8, 2004.

1. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

Anyone ever use this model? I have lawnboys but they are all commercial. I saw the 4.5 hp silver series, at a yard sale yesterday, it was 2years old. The guy said give him $50 bucks and i could put it on my truck. I would have taken it right there, but i couldn't get it started. the guy told me he hired a lawnguy and the mower hasn't been started in a year...... needs a tune up maybe. Quality or don't bother?

2. Nick17

Nick17 LawnSite Member

I'd take it.. I've had good luck in the past with buying stuff from a yard sale. I got a mower MTD for $20 didn't work (changed oil, gas, added spark plug, and cleaned carb and it worked) and a push edger for free which I got to work and sold it.

With a little knowledge, you can get it to work..

-Nick

3. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

I bought mine in 1990. It's been abused so much, I'km embarrassed to give all the details. But I will say this, in the spring, pullit once or twice and it's up and running.

50 Bucks, where do i sign!?

4. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

Lawnboys are my first choice for 21" mowers! Great cut and they seem to run forever!!

5. Rick Jones

Rick Jones LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

Is this a 2-stroke or 4-stroke?

My father has a 1994 Silver Series (2 cycle) that has been used weekly to mow a 1/4 acre lot and the only things that have gone wrong were the gas tank (factory recall) and the ignition coil, $35. So I would say they are pretty decent mowers.

Of course if it is not running, I'd offer him a lot less. Maybe like $25-30. He's going to have a hard time selling it for $50 without it running, so he'd probably take less.