lawnboy coil

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by foreman1063, Oct 10, 2004.

1. foreman1063

foreman1063 LawnSite Member

I have a Lawnboy, 4.75hp self propelled, silver series push mower thats about 6 or 7 seven years old. I believe the coil is bad and my equipment dealer is telling me that they have discontinued them. Anyone know where I might find one. I hate to trash a perfectly good mower for a $40 part. Thanks, John.

2. beransfixitinc

beransfixitinc LawnSite Senior Member

do you have a model number or anything on your mower?

3. foreman1063

beransfixitins, The model number is 10304.

4. beransfixitinc

beransfixitinc LawnSite Senior Member

Hmm.. I believe the part number is 92-1152.

You might be able to find one somewhere.. but it seems Lawnboy parts do be come hard to come by after a while.

EDIT: The part is superceded to part number 99-2916.

If you really must, you could probably order it through sears.com. It shows a list price of $36.98, so, figure possible taxes, and of course Sears shipping. Probably looking at around $50.

5. ducky1

ducky1 LawnSite Senior Member

You might try cleaning the surface wherer the coil mounts onto the engine. Most of the time the coil just loses ground and wont work. clean with a wire brush or sandpaper and reset air gap and try.

6. foreman1063

DUCKY1 What exactly is the air gap and how do you set it? Thanks, John.

7. ducky1

ducky1 LawnSite Senior Member

Air gap is the distance between the coil and the magnets on the flywheel. Usually around .010 or so. A business card will get you there if you don't have feeler gages. Just loosen the screws holding the coil on and it can be moved back and forth enough to adjust the air gap.