Lawnboy commercial ??

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by okgrassguy, Dec 10, 2005.

1. okgrassguy

okgrassguy LawnSite Member

I have been researching the Lawnboy SP commercial 21, I was wondering how well it mulches? Do you you have to buy the mulch plate seperately?
    It is the 22243 model, any thoughts on the quality of this unit.:help:

2. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

i have around 15 lawnboys but dont have that model. i do have one with a techumche motor and it mulches well enough and yes the mulch plate is extra. you will need the mulch fan too and a gatorblade helps improve mulching a lot. if getting one of these -better ack fast .i am pretty shure toro has quit making them and i dont see one in the newest brochures. overall this is a good mower but i feel it overpriced. mabey you can get a deal cause sales are slow for these since they put on a briggs quantum in place of the powerhouse dura-force w /2cyc.

3. okgrassguy

what do you think about a 10550 with the duraforce 2 cycle. There seems to be a few floating around. I know they are not commercial grade but I have heard good things about them

4. lawnboy dan

the 10550 has the personal pace drive sys. i dont care for it nor do many others who use them commercially. the dura force is mostlikely the strongest 21 lawnmower engine ever made in terms of power. its amazing what it will cut. you have to see it to believe it. my favorite non comm lawnboy is the 10323. its got dura-force and a one speed bulitproff self propel sys that never gives trouble and can hold up to comm duty (unlike the personal pace). tthe 10323 is cheap to buy used as it only cost 300$ when new. it sold like hotcakes so they are easy to find. the holy grail is the 22261-its the comm w/duraforce and 3speed toro trans. these are almost impossible to find used as every one loves them

5. True Cut Lawn Maintenance

True Cut Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member

Are you referring to the ones with orange wheels? I think those things run $800 bucks or so.

6. okgrassguy

Im leaning towards the commercial 22243 now.
    Although I do like the idea of the duraforce on the 10550 I would rather get a better SP mower. How much do the parts usually run to convert it to mulching?

7. lawnboy dan

the mulch plate is around 35 $ -the mulch fan 15$ -i recommend a gator blade 17$ . i f buying new -i would think the dealer might throw the mulch stuff in with the deal. have you found one locally? this isnt a easy mower to find.

8. okgrassguy

Im going to look next week. There are several dealers locally and I have found a few on the internet. I feel thay are a bit overpriced at 750$ hopefully i can get a deal , I wouldnt object to $750 out the door with mulching accesories and bagging kit:D I guess I can wish

9. lawnboy dan

10. okgrassguy

Okay just one more question:dizzy: Since I will need to bag on occasion do you reccomend the side or rear bag ? Ive been told the side bag dosent clog but it looks akward. Will any lawnboy mulch plate work? I see quite a few on ebay and was wondering. Also a special thanks to Lawnboy Dan for answering ???'s