LawnBoy drive wheel - hub slipping inside tire

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Roger, Oct 14, 2005.

1. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I have a LawnBoy Commercial self-propelleded 21" hand mower that is used daily, and sometimes for long periods of time. It is a couple of years old, and I had an older model that ran for years (pre-DuraForce). My experience has been the drive wheels don't last very long - the rubber wears off. I change wheels about twice per season.

The last set of drive wheels I mounted have developed a problem. The plastic hub, with the metal gear pinned on the inside, is no longer adhering to the outside rubber tire. It spins within the tire. Of all the wheels I've had, this is a new problem. And, it has happened to both wheels, about a month into service. Oh, to be sure, not a huge problem, but the wheels are expensive! Maybe these two came from a bad production line.

The wearing surface on the rubber is still good with lots of life left. So, I don't want to throw them away and start with a new set. Is there any mechanical way to make the attachment that others have used? There isn't much room on the inside for a bolt head (e.g. putting a bolt radially through hub and tire). How about some glue?

The wheels drive fine on flat terrain, but if more power is needed to climb a slope, they will spin, leaving the tire stationary (and me pushing the machine!).

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Think I would run 3 or 4 drywall screws right through the tread area into the plastic rim, The flat head on them won't hurt the turf.

3. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Get a big bottle of CA (super glue) from a hobby store. Use the thin stuff so it draws into the joint. If the joint is a little loose, a medium thickness is in order.
    Lean the mower up on it's side and glue the outside of one and the inside of the other. Flip and repeat.

4. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks for the replies, but one of them totally gave out yesterday. The entire side wall broke out, leaving the tire "flat." It no longer had enough support to hold the weight properly.

I've put on a new set of wheels (again!). I always keep a set in inventory. Since this set of wheels gave out so early, I have to believe something was wrong with the manufacturing run. I am always able to run them until they are slick on tread. With this set, they are being trashed with most of the tread still in place.

Drive wheels, and traction drive cables -- big spare parts money makers for LB!

5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Drill holes in the tires and fill them with regular foam used to fill cracks. I drill holes in my snapper wheel and fill them and it increase the life.

6. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Does it make the tires like run flats ?