LawnBoy fashion, what's hot, what's not

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Envy Lawn Service, Jan 28, 2003.

1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I'm thinking of a new uniform for next season. It gets pretty hot down here in the summer. So I'm looking for suggestions on colors that are cool but don't show dirt too bad. Last season it was so dry and I was so sweaty that my white shirts were brown by the time the dew dried. I tried some gray, don't show dirt as bad, but the sweat shows even worse.

Traditionally I've tried to stay with white and green since these were my starting colors. I have a white truck with green lettering so it all looks good. That is until it's 95 out and dry as a bone....
  2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

my employees wear a red polo shirt, with the business name in white lettering. Their pants are a major thing. They are dark navy blue dickies (yup laugh at the name everybody...ok are you done...ok good) the reason for the dart long pants is that first of all they don't show the dirt, they don't really show any grass clippings from trimmings, and most importantly of all they don't show the grease from the equipment. And with both colors dark they don't show sweat.
  3. viper88

viper88 LawnSite Member

We are from N.C. also.
    We wear light brown (tan) shirts and blue pants (Dickies or jeans).
    Went through the white shirt thing and they came out brown or tan after working.
    That's why the shirts are light brown (tan) now, they don't show the red clay dirt so much.
  4. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

going to stay with white...Oxyclean with Tide gets most of the dirt out...somewhere I read/heard to be careful with bright colors like red....something about attracting bees....and with the bee problems we had last year I will never do anything that even has a remote chance of attracting those little bastards
  5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like you had a go-around with them more than once, huh Gar? They got me like 8 times last year and gonna keep that in mind in 2003.
  6. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

yeah Rod I am actually paranoid about them time I opened the front door for the pizza guy and they flew out of a wreath on the door and got me multiple times right on the end of my big, already ugly, nose......had no idea they were in they were bad in that drought
  7. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

I have found that dark green is the best color. Mine are now a lighter green from 10 million cycles through the washer but still look good. Go with a very good quality shirt and they should last a couple seasons. I bought 30 of them 3 years ago and still have several that look like new.
  8. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

I also go with the tan colored shirts and pants. It is not the coolest color such as white but helps to hide the dirt a little better.

9. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

GQ would probably be some type of pleated chino or work short, tan or light green T, and tan work boots.

Whats Not would fall under the neon color scheme, halter tops, and hiking boots -LOL!!!