lawnboy or Huqvarna?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mike84, May 3, 2004.

1. Mike84

Mike84 LawnSite Member

Im just starting in this business and i have about 30 family and friends i cut grass for. I need a pushmower that cuts residential property that will last and not burn out on me.

Which company do u guys recommend lawnboy or huqvarna..the price is about the same so im lost. And they both come with bag, side discharge and mulcher.

Any help would be great!

2. moneyman

moneyman LawnSite Member

If goign self propelled.I would stay away from huskys becuase they are sears models with orange paint. The weakest link in a Selfpropelled mower is the drive system.
    Go with a snapper simple and easy to repair.
    You can actually push thsi self propelled unit with the Tranny being engaged which is a good feature.

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Mike, Are you asking about homeowners models or commercial. What is your price range? 30 yards is a lot to cut and a homeowner model will not last the year, not built for constant use.
    I have the $299.00 Husky for a few small spots and it is not good. The cut is bad with a lot of uncut grass (with a fresh blade) and the deck blows a lot of stuff out the front. Waste of 299.
    I think the lawnboy is a better product.
    But I think you need a better unit! Look into a 36" walk behind from any commerical dealer and it will last many years. I use my push mower about 10 min a week and after 2 years the thing is falling apart. 30 yards will kill it fast.
  4. fror 21 inch models I go with a honda or a toro commercial not the home depot special.Now if you can find last years lawn boy model they were great also.These 3 are above all others in this field.The other brands really fail in comnparsion to these 3
  5. P&C Lawn Care

P&C Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

If you really want to be in the business and have 30 lawns to do, stay away from the Lowes and Home Depot mowers. Go with a commercial mower (I prefer Honda but there are other brands like Toro etc) that will last. Granted a home owner mower will mow for awhile, it will start to break down and not hold up to the abuse. More things get tore up with being transported if they are not properly secured. Find an old Commercal 2 stroke Lawnboy and that would be the better Lawnboy mower, but not the new 4 stroke ones.

BTW: How can you be 21 if your Birthyear is 1990 in your profile?
  6. LynyrdSkynyrd

LynyrdSkynyrd LawnSite Member

You ask about a LawnBoy Vrs a Husqvarna. So I will stick to those.

The Husky has plastic gears in the Transmission. They may be good for a homeowner that just uses his mower or personal use. But I would not trust one for commerical use.

The LawnBoys offers the best cut of all the 21" mowers that I have ever used.

I picked up a 10356 model last year to try out.

The 10356 has a 4 stroke Tecumseh 6.5 hp engine for $288.00. The mower has gave great service and I have yet to have any problems with it. I have not had it long enough to say how well they will hold up for the long haul. I have however got my moneys worths from it.

They weigh less than 70 lbs full of gas and oil. So they are easy to handle and will not wear you out using one. My men and I like it so well that I plan to buy two more of them this year.

The 10654, 55 and 55 models are just retagged Toro mowers with a smaller engine. They are becoming to be known as ToroBoys here and people do not like them. Same complaint as mine. Hate that Easy Stride/ Personal Pace drive system.
  7. Sticking to lawn-boy vs husky

Husk are a joke.. they do not cut well in wet grass, self propel system breaks to easy, plus they weigh a ton.

newer model lawn-boys are just painted green by Toro(toro owns Lawn-Boy for many years).

However, if you want true commercial grade at low weight ratio to power, get a model #22261 Lawn-Boy. There's a web site out of Denver Colorado that you can buy from. It uses a 2 cycle dura force engine which is being phased out because of emission issues.(not carb II compliant). If you can get one, will last you @ least a couple years as long as you do the maintenance. Pretty good bagger, great mulching mower, decent side charge. Most people don't like lawn boy brand because of staggered wheel design.

Honda and Toro make great commercial machines, but they weigh more than a full size elephant and perform that way.
  8. husqvarna600c

husqvarna600c LawnSite Member

This is the commercial 21" i use . It is a Husqvarna and was made by Ariens for Husqvarna for several years . It has a drive that lets you adjust to any speed between 0-4mph. This works great for tall or thick grass.I can slow the drive but leave the rpm of the engine up. It has a Robin 6 horse with full pressure oil pump and oil filter. The drive system uses all bearings which are replaceable as individuals or as a set. the drive also has a grease zerk. this mower also has a differential making turning easier.Everything on it that mowes or spins has bearings. It comes with a bag, mulch plug and block off cover, and side discharge chute. It has steel wheels with replaceable tire tread.It has handle bar braces as well .It does not have a blade brake clutch. The horsepower rating is true and not just a beefed up sticker. This 21" is one heck of a bagger.It retails for $ 999.95 . I bought mine for $750.00 and am going to buy another one to replace the briggs next to it as soon as i can sell the briggs.

The bad news. Husqvarna does not make these anymore. But there are still lots of them out there new in the box. and the price has come down a lot from $999.00.

I will attach a picture as soon as i figure out how.
  9. two_planks

two_planks LawnSite Member

Mike84, is it this mower. It used to be made by Ariens for Husqvarna and it is still made by Ariens for themselves. I bought one a month ago and it is an excellent mower so far
  10. husqvarna600c

husqvarna600c LawnSite Member

Very close almost exact except my mower has the steel wheels.I have heard that Husqvarna wanted to keep the steel wheels and some other minor features but Ariens did not want to. Who knows ? I have to say it is one of the best walkbehinds i have ever seen whether its a Gravley or Ariens or Husqvarna.