1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lawnboy or Snapper 2 cycle push mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by hwew, May 11, 2008.

1. hwew

hwew LawnSite Member

I am looking to buy a used 2 cycle push mower.

I can purchase a 22260 Lawnboy Commercial mower or a self propeled Snapper Commercial 2 cycle Robin. It will mostly be used side discharge. But mulching and bagging will be used at times. Very small yards and small banks at 50+ deg.

1. Which mower leaves a better cut in tall grass. I cut lots of Baiha.
    2. Which mower can withstand clogging better in wet grass.
    3. Which will scalp the least cutting at 1". I have some lawns with Bermudia.
    4. Which mower can hold the banks better sideways when pushing. Snapper self propelled mowers do not work great on banks anyways.

I know Lawnboy is about 20 lbs. lighter and I believe engine parts are some what more available but I believe the Robin 2 cycle is a more rugged engine.

I do not care if the mower is self propeled.
  2. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

i f you didnt have slopes-i would say go with the robin/snapper-best 2cycle ever made but the sp sys on the snapper is the pits. the lawn boy will cut bahia much better but be prepared for lots of carb problems. if you want to disable the sp system on the snapper and just push -thats your choice. get the snapper
  3. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

I haven't looked at the newer lawn-boys, but I never liked the off-set wheel of the lawn boys. It leaves a weird track that doesn't look good.
  4. Trukfr8

Trukfr8 LawnSite Member

I would suggest the lawnboy. All use I'd the old style lawnboys. I think the lawnboy does a good job on wet grass. You do have to mow lot slower than mowing dry grass, but it can be done and it leaves the lawn looking pretty good. I love the look of the lawn with the staggered wheel, but this is only my opinion. :)
  5. Bayrat

Bayrat LawnSite Member
    from NY

My 1977 Lawn Boy was doing the trim today prior to the Gravely firing up. Great mower, wish I had a spare with the two cycle.
  6. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I have 2 of the Snappers with the Robin engines. Great mowers. Never had a problem with either. One of them is 20 years old and the other around 9 years or so. Great for bagging and do fair on mulching. I've never cut Baiha grass but have cut some really tall St. Augustine with them.