1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lawnboy Or Toro

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GrassInPA, Apr 21, 2003.

1. GrassInPA

GrassInPA LawnSite Member

Hello everyone,

Just wanted to get some opinions on the new mower I'm buying. I have an old Craftsman that's just about had it. I'm going to clean it up and all that good stuff to use as a back-up for whichever mower I decide to buy.

I have two choices:

1) Lawnboy silverpro mower -- 6.5 HP Duraforce engine -- rear bag with all the adapters to mulch and side discharge -- 21" cut
    Price: $359.99 + tax

2) Toro personal pace super recycler mower -- 6.5 Engine --
    4 cycle -- 22" cut -- comes with all adapters also
    Price: $359.99 + tax

The main thing is right now that I have around 10 yards to cut. I would like to be up around 20 yards. All the yards are too small to consider a 32" W/B.

Any input on this would be greatly appreciated. I'm planning on buying sometime Tuesday. I know this post is late on Monday. :angel:

Side note: Does anyone know a good place to get business cards made?
  2. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Both! Yeah baby!
    This is my sweet 21" Lawn-Toro, or Toro-Boy LOL. It's a 3 speed Toro rear drive with a Lawn Boy 2 cycle engine! I love it. It's just one of many of my creations. It works great, is reliable, great on hills, simple machine, fast, good cut, good bag, good mulch, great machine!

3. yardman1

yardman1 LawnSite Senior Member

I would go with the lawn-boy, I have one and it is strong and cuts good, no problems at all, except trash in the carb.
  4. Gr grass n Hi tides

Gr grass n Hi tides LawnSite Bronze Member

I've got the 6.5 Lawnboy 21 self propelled & it kicks arse. Good little mower. Starts on the first pull every single time & really is a great little mulching machine.
  5. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

lawnboy here as well, i own two.
  6. contra

contra LawnSite Member

personal pace is really fast and it cuts nice. ive owned both mowers and i think the personal pace is a better choice
  7. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Toro, but I would not go with the personal pace for commercial work. That's a homeowner mower.
  8. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

Have you ever used reverse on a gear drive walk behind?Its just an assist,you got to help it out.Thats also a personal pace,you still have to PUSH IT!!It will go fast,if you push it fast.I used 1 a week,1 wheel drive,awful mowing around side of hills where you cant get good footing to PUSH IT.I would NEVER own one.:(
  9. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Same here.

The toro personal pace is a POS.

I had it for about 2 days. Back to the store it went.