LawnBoy Push Mower. Which one the best?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Duncan IN, Mar 24, 2001.

1. Duncan IN

Duncan IN LawnSite Member

I am in need of a small pushmower and i want to go with a lawn boy. Any Ideas wich one is the best for commercial use?

2. VLM

VLM LawnSite Member

Been through about 5 LB self propell over the years. Go with the Silver Series. Dont get the Tecumsa. Go with the 6.5 Briggs. They may be using the Intek now but thats ok. Run you about $400 with bagger. They also make a commercial mower but it's almost a thousand bucks and the only real difference I saw was the steel deck and bigger gas tank.

3. Duncan IN

Thanks VLM. I currently have a new snapper mower and I am very unhappy with it. I used a customers LB on his yard and I hated it at first because of the wheel sticking out. But I really like the LB's now.

4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I have a Lawn-Boy Commercial 6.5hp 2 cycle, Aluminum deck, staggered wheel push mower $600. Its a 1998 model and it replaced a 1983 of exactly the same model only they were only 4hp then $400. The 1983 is still running great, my Dad bought it off of me in 1998. The staggered wheel has some disadvantages, but all I use it as is a trim mower and inside one small gate. Its relatively light, I can lift it over my trailer no problem. It is built like a tank and has the grease fittings on the wheels. Make sure you get the engine rpms up high enough, as it was delivered, it didn't rev very high, and the cut wasn't that good. I cranked her up to 3650 and it cuts great! Only thing that I have ever done to both is to clean the muffler and ports, and replace the spark plug every year or two!

5. Duncan IN

What are the disadvantages to the wheel sticking out? Would you stick with lawnboys or another brand? Any really good brands out there other than lawn boy?

6. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Staggered wheel LB's wheel sticks out and can catch on obstructions. They are available as a reg wheel but you are limited to rear bagging, or a funny rear discharge chute attachment. With the staggered wheel, you can trim close to the front of the deck, and the grass discharge goes straight out the side with no obstructions. I buy them for the good wheels, good cast alum deck, very large gas tank, good maintenance free engines, quieter than most mowers, light weight, and at $600, a pretty good trim mower deal!

7. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I use a JD 21 mower. But as a back-up mower I have a Lawnboy Silver series mower. It really light compared to the JD. I don't even use the self propelled feature on it.

[Edited by bob on 03-24-2001 at 10:45 PM]

8. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

Lawnboys are not what they used to be! Up untill the 90's lawnboys used to be a great professional duty push mower. They were extremly light and has a great quality of cut! I bought a new silver series self propelled lawnboy in 95. I used it maybe a hour a week tops (recent years maybe 20 minutes a week) and i have had problems with it from the begining. It didnt cut well, hard to start..... My neigbor has a lawnboy that is 25 years old and still starts on the first pull.... my 5 year old lawnboy that i trashed last week took 10 pulls to start (yes i maintained it). Most landscapers i see have a old lawnboy on the trailer rather then a new one because there much better! If i were you id look for a old lawnboy nd buy it cheap.... even if you have to put 100 bucks into it, it will probly outlast a brand new lawnboy, be feather light and have a great cut.

9. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Evan,

I actually prefer my newer one! Always starts on first pull, and has loads more power than my '83. The Silver and Gold Series are homeowner models. Don't know all the differences, but the engine internals and carb are different on my Commercial than on a Silver. Deck and wheels are better too. They are even more dependent on gas oil mixture than a weed wacker. Just a little off, and you clog the ports real quick. I ONLY use LB oil.

10. Duncan IN

I've been using Lawn-Boy ever since I started working for my dad since age eight. Dad has been in the business since 1962 and still uses Lawn-Boy. If you need to bag, one of the best machines for picking up pine needles on the lawn.
    Since I've been on my own now closing on 20 years and still am using commercial Lawn-Boy. There was a 2 year period where the machines were illegal in California due to smog emmissions. I had to buy a honda 216 when my mower had an accident cuased by my worker. I do like the honda, but it is too heavy to use during our winter time rain season.

You can get a commercial grade Lawn Boy from the internet from alamia.com. I have purchased 7 mowers from them last year. Model 22261 is a self-propelled model and I got it for 685 delivered. The push model was about $100 cheaper.
    John