Lawnboy Replacement Wheels: OEM Plastic or Steel w/bearings..?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by johnebe, Jun 22, 2008.

1. johnebe

johnebe LawnSite Member

...gotta replace all 4 on a 1985 non-commercial self-propelled staggered-wheel 8240.

...has anybody replaced the plastic original wheels with the steel Stens wheels that have bearings..? ...not sure of the wheels quality cause the dealer only has pictures, and if the bearings are gonna be much of a difference and benefit...which might offset the probability that the steel's gonna get chipped & nicked and rust and require maintenance....

would somebody PLEASE make a decision for me so i can order these suckers and get it back in service...

2. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

It's a 1985 ! Go with the plastic wheels. I wouldn't dump a bunch of money into something that old. The plastic should do fine for the price difference.

3. johnebe

johnebe LawnSite Member

the steel are cheaper for the larger rear wheels...$10 versus $17 per ! ...that's why i was asking if anybody had any experience cause i'm afraid it might be cheap junk...

this mower was inherited and is low hours and has been great...was top-of-line in 85...has a magnesium? deck...light light...tons of power for the weight...

4. greenred

greenred LawnSite Senior Member
    from IL

5. johnebe

johnebe LawnSite Member

thanks greenred, that is helpful...guy from other thread said:
    that's what i'm thinking...maybe the plastic with no bearings will last longer than cheap bearings...and maybe this mower being so light won't benefit that much from the bearings... i dunno...easier to push for less money makes it tempting...