Lawnboy Silverpro

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Scott305, Mar 25, 2003.

1. Scott305

Scott305 LawnSite Member

A friend gave me this mower. He told me that his wife had put gas only in it and ran it(don't know how long) The mower will start and run until it warms up and then dies. If you let it cool down it will start and run and then die when it warms up. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

It all depends on how long she ran it with just straight gas. Two cycles require lubrication in the form of gas/oil mix. I suppose if the engine was only ran for a minute or so, it probably wouldn't hurt much. But if it was used for 45 minutes cutting their lawn until it stopped, I reckon it's beyond fix.

First check for engine compression. Check the crank to see if there is back and forth play. If there is, that is a sign of bearing damage. My thought would be to replace the short block which is available at a lawnboy dealer around 80 bucks I guess.
    It's only about an hour job. Then you'll have plenty of life left in her.

Good luck,

Matt

3. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like there could be some piston/ring damage even possible some cylinder scoring. Try taking off the cylinder jug and inspecting for scratches. You might need to replace the piston & rings and hone the cylinder.

4. Scott305

Scott305 LawnSite Member

I tried the mower this evening. I ran it for about 15 minutes mowing part of the yard had no problems. I probably should have ran it longer for the problem to occur but it seems fine. Not sure what my friend did???? (maybe wanted that new riding mower) Thanks alot for the replys.

5. fjhemmer

fjhemmer LawnSite Member

Do a compression test on the engine. There should be about 80psi to 90psi. If not you will need a new short block.