Lawnboy starting problem?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by imograss, Nov 2, 2004.

1. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Lawnboy model# 10323 with the Duraforce engine. It doesn't seem to be firing. It will on occasion start but is very inconsistant. While pulling the crank rope and holding the spark plug, I feel nothing. Before I invest in an ignition module (coil?) is there anything I should try first. I have 2 of these mowers and can't seem to get them going at the same time. They have very few hours on them as I only use 1 on about 3 lawns per week. Any suggestions are appreciated.
    Thanks
    Tim

2. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

If the magnet on the fly wheel is rusty get some sandpaper or steel wool and sand that rust off. Take the ignition module off and also sand the rust off of it if it has any on it. When you put the coil back on make sure you set the gap correctly. After you do that, if it still doesn't fire you probiblly need a new coil.

3. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

use a playing or business card for setting the gap, Oddly enough it is right at the oem spec.

4. imograss

Thanks guys.

5. fearthedeere

fearthedeere LawnSite Member

Hey, I had the exact same problem this past summer. I have two lawn boys with two-stroke engines, one being a 10323. Both woudn't start this summer. I ended up having to replace ignition module on both units. There may have been some other options, but I needed a mower AT ONCE, so I just had them replaced.

6. imograss

Thanks Kevin, kinda what I am expecting. What did the coil cost? I will put it on myself.

7. fearthedeere

fearthedeere LawnSite Member

I can't rightly remember, and I can't find the reciept for it. I think it cost around $15.00 for the part. Good thing you're putting it in, because they really get you on the labor charges. $50/hr. plus parts can really bite.

By they way, have you ever had problems with the throttle cable on those Lawn Boy's? That has been problematic on my lawn-boys and had to be replaced.

8. J.Gordon

J.Gordon LawnSite Senior Member

I have had the same thing happen several times, it has always been the old rusty magnet on the flywheel. Like Travis and Viper said sand the rust off and gap it with a business card. Hope thatÂ’s all it is!
    Jeff

9. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

99-2911 is the part number, they run about $30
    good luck!!

10. imograss

Well, I took the Lawnboy apart this afternoon. There was rust on the flywheel magnet and the module itself. I sanded the rust and re-gapped the module with a bus. card. Still nothing. I will replace the module now. Anyone know of an online source? I usually pay over double the cost from my dealer, and will be happy to save a few bucks online. Thanks again for all the input.