lawnboy wheels? any help?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fga, Feb 25, 2006.

1. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

i've been using the same lawnboys day in and day out, for going on 8 seasons now. my wheels are literrally falling apart. mine are so beat up right now, i can't get an accurate measurement.:dancing:

are the front and back different sizes?
    8 x 1.5 & 6 x 1.5 ??

or are those for 2 different classes of LB's? i'm running commercial mowers, model year 1999-2000
  2. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

if you take your model numbers to a Toro dealer, they should be able to get the correct wheels for you. I wasn't really sure of your question though.
  3. fga

sorry, i mean,
    do i have to order both sizes for one mower,
    or is it one or the other? and if it is only one size... 8" or 6"

i removed half of them over the winter, so i don't have half of them aymore... and the rubber was pretty beat.

when you measure a wheel on a push mower, do you include the rubber, or just the rim? there's about 2 inches of rubber, so it can be way off if i'm wrong.
  4. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Lawn Boy wheels should be all the same sizes from 1970ish to today... Only thing that changed was they went from slick tires to treaded tires around 1990 when Toro bought Lawnboy. Of course your comercial will have the metal rims with ball bearings.

J-thomas has both in their catalog, Even in orange like the originals with grease zerks. 6 x 1.5 for the fronts and 8 x 1.5 for the backs.
  5. fga

thanks, that 's what i was looking for. i wasn't sure if there was two different sizes for the front and rear
  6. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

that's simply amazing. I actually read this 3 times to see if I read it right. We replace tires every year, sometimes the tread will literally be falling off. :eek:
    8 years, WOW.
  7. fga

Jodi, you use commercial lawnboys also? with the orange tires? like these, and wear them out? yearly:dizzy: :

i will get a picture tomorrow. they are in bad shape. one tire, the center of the tread fell out, so it looks like it belongs on a train track:) . they were bad, "but not bad enough".. that's a quote of mine.
    but i'm not exaggerating in the slightest. ths will be our 8 season with these mowers, which are our primary mowers, and this is the first time i am replacing wheels. LAWNBOY!!
    . i bought a 48" wb 2 years ago, but it 's rarely used.. maybe 4 accounts a week out of 100 or so.
  8. 1MajorTom

oh no, I really do believe you. I wasn't doubting you on that, i'm just amazed. Yes we have both, the commerical and the silver series, and i have seen tires that are just slicks, other tires with the tread flapping off...... strange i know.
  9. fga

on the other hand... another person might have replaced them sooner. i like to REALLY get my moneys worth in this business.
    my bags on the mowers, forget it. the zippers broke on the after market bags about a week after purchase. so i cut a piece of sprinker hose (hard black hose type), and sliced it down the long way. so for the last 2 years, my guys have used this to slide over the zipper in its place. quick fix, and works like a charm.. actually easier in some spots in emptying a full bag.
    i just bought some bags this week... my guys are going to think i hit the lotto:cool2:

how long do you get out of the bags? side chute or rear? i can get about 3 years, if i'm lucky... patching them up.:waving:
  10. 1MajorTom

believe me, we are definitely on the same page about getting our money's worth. we have like a skeleton yard of ravaged lawnboys that we strip for any useable part that we may need. ya, about three years on rear bags, and that's pushing it.