lawnboy

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bare spot, Aug 24, 2007.

1. bare spot

bare spot LawnSite Bronze Member

a buddy was telling me about someone who might be selling one of those commercial two-stroke lawnboys (staggered wheel,under 70 lbs.). i got number of guy and wanted call him today to see what the story is but got to busy. could use some help on what i should look for, are there models of these twostrokes to avoid? and if did buy would parts be hard to come by. any help would be appreciated.

2. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

if it's the same two stroke they have made for years, you can buy the parts at sears repair centers believe it or not. when i worked in the gas shop we'd get a few of them in every now and again. seem to be pretty good little mowers in all honesty, as far as 21" go.

3. bare spot

from what hear it's 5hp (according to writing on mower and commercial) and very very light. if it mulches, can use for some hills and what not. sears, plenty of those around., thanks .

4. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

beware of carb problems in the duraforce model.

5. The Grass Guy

The Grass Guy LawnSite Member

I have a 2 stroke lawnboy with the Duraforce engine, the only thing I have ever had to do to it is keep the exhaust tube cleaned out, its a simple thing,under the deck is a u shaped tube,unbolt it and clean it out with a gun cleaning brush, you will notice its blocked if you start telling its not running as fast as it should, just a 2 stroke thing im told.

6. bare spot

got a look at before and for it's age looks in good shape, not sure of certain of price yet but did get model 10401. got to ask if there are mulch plate made for these mowers, looks like something might slide over to cover opening. it's 19in cast deck or made of something good. any other on this would appreciate, like the weight of this mower and other than its height adjustments might be a good pickup. for use,.. and thanks for previous replies.

7. The Grass Guy

The Grass Guy LawnSite Member

My lawn boy does both Mulches or Discharges it has a cover that you change out that bolts to the top to cover the discharge chute.When you look at the blade it has a funky looking thingy bolted to the middle of the blade, Im sure this is what makes it Mulch.

8. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

that will make a great trimm mower if the carb dosnt act up-install a fuel shutoff valve to minimize problems with needle and seat

9. bare spot

thanks for help, fuel shut off valve great idea. went to site for parts lookup and saw what your talking about for mulch plate, if read that right,looks like can be crossed over from current size deck and parts are pretty standard with all mowers, past and current (don't see that much anymore). gonna see if can download manual to see what other things can find out about this mower.

10. bare spot

went to site and was able to download manual, gives good descriptions on parts and such, looks like they got their act together on that stuff,.