Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JG Landscaping, Mar 11, 2008.

1. JG Landscaping

JG Landscaping LawnSite Member

A friend of mine gave me an old 21" lawnboy mulcher with a 4.5hp 2-stroke on it. It needs only minor work from what I can tell, such a new primer bulb and maybe wheels. My question is how well do these things run? Is it worth my throwing a few dollars at to get it running or is it scrap metal? Thanks for any help.

TREEGUARD LawnSite Senior Member

Is it one of those old school solid state models if so they work great might be worth some new wheels & a tune up.
  3. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

Man I used to beat up on my lawnboys back in the day. Only problem I had resulted from it leaking oil from the plastic oil dipstick tube that resulted in throwing a rod and needing a new engine...I pretty much just had about 10 neighborhood lawns that I would always let get WAY too tall, then go mow them down with the trusty lawnboys. Never let me down and if I had to ever buy another pushmower, I would definately consider it.
  4. YoungGun

YoungGun LawnSite Member

i garbage pick one last year / fuel line was clogged so i fixed that and ran it till about 2 weeks before i was done and i broke the recoil... ha i like the way she ran and cut. im 6. 4 so i was a little agrivated with a fold hand engagment but she was free cant complain. If its under 50 fix it
  5. lawnkingforever

lawnkingforever LawnSite Bronze Member

We have an old Lawnboy we leave at camp. The poor thing sits outside all year with a tarp over it. The oil never gets changed and gas sits in it all winter and the mower starts everytime. This mower is more reliable than some of my commercial equipment. They don't make em like they used to.
  6. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

if it has a metal carb-you in luck. if it have a plastic carb-it suck
  7. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

If it is an old one, it probably is a 2 cycle engine. That is why the oil never gets changed.
  8. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

well worth it to invest a few bucks into it

9. JG Landscaping

JG Landscaping LawnSite Member

The mower says gold series on it but there is no specific model number.
    Thanks to all who have replied.:waving: