lawnboys are a dime a dozen!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Brianslawn, Jan 13, 2006.

1. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

83 new listings in new yellow pages this year. 12 pages total, now. yellow pages represent 25% of lawnboys in area.

if i was a customer.... i would make my lawnboy my b!tch. a true slave he would be. if he tried raising his prices, or gave me a contract, or refused to work for free, why... id get out the whip and start beating him. after all... theres 2800+ more lawnboys in area to jump in and take his place kissing my feet, and sucking my toes if he turns out to be a bad slave.

when is it decided that the market is too over saturated and what problems will arise from too much competition? does an abundance of competition bennifit the lawnboys any? or just the customers? what solutions are available to prevent the lawnboys form becoming a bunch of slaves working for free?

#1 unionize and set minimum charges and other ground rules? (without the union dues, of course).

#2 merge together like banks, telecommunications, and other (smart) corperate giants?

#3 drop the license and insurance and taxes to cut costs and buy a pair of knee pads to keep sucking toes?

which do you think? any other ideas or comments on this topic. at this rate in 5 years every customer will have their very own private lawnboy that lives in the dog house out back.

i think its time to leave the lawn biz and start a biz that makes whips and leashes!!!!!!!

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

that is a lot

I think that you are always going to have the huge lawn boys out there. They are here for 3 month,or a year, and then they are out of it. The problem that I see is that the industry is really not regulated or licenses required (to a point). I mean, if you had to go to school for 2 to 4 years to get a degree or license, then there would be less of them out there.

3. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

How many lawyers, insurance companies, plumbers, heating/cooling, restaurants, doctors, etc. are there in your phone book. I see more heating and cooling vans driving around town then I do LCO's. Competition is in every industry, it's the american way.

4. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

i agree . most of them run there lawn boy routine like a fresh beer supply not like a business .when ever people get in a tight for money instead of asking their "boss" for a raise the grab their 21" out of the garage and start a part time show .

The problem that I see is that the industry is really not regulated or licenses required (to a point). I mean, if you had to go to school for 2 to 4 years to get a degree or license, then there would be less of them out there.

i am willing to go to school to be a certified turf expert . or what evert the school would name it .as long as there are stiff penalties for those found cutting any property for profit without the license .

5. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

i agree . most of them run there lawn boy routine like a fresh beer supply not like a business .when ever people get in a tight for money instead of asking their "boss" for a raise the grab their 21" out of the garage and start a part time show .

6. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

I just counted in our new YP's OVER! 190 LISTINGS!. Im my area we have large concentrations of the lawn boy's target market in either direction you go within a 10 mile radius. Norht South East West, you'll find High End homes.

I still think 190 is too many, I could imagine there are atleast 50 more companies not in here, or in the next county over.

At this point in time it's just survival of the fittest. The commercial end is just as bad, All of the bigger companies are competing for them.

Sometimes a Union doesn't sound bad, I think it would be good to keep any and everybody out of this business.

7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

exactly why I have never bothered with the Yellow Pages...I'd rather work with known referrals.

8. freddyc

freddyc LawnSite Senior Member

there are more lawyers and pizza places than lawnboys in my area.

9. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

Some folks just dont get it. License's, unions, co-ops, are a waste of time. Sure they pose a barrier to those wishing to be legal, its the illeagls that dont pay attention tothe license requirements. Every industry has its lowballers, cutthroats and illegal operators. Heck, just look at how many drive cars without licenses. the only way you can compete is to give superior service, distinguse yourself above the rest and you will not only survive, but you will thrive. Learn to compete and quit whinning.

10. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

you'll never pull this motley crew together on a national level, IMO. there are way to many folks that would flat out refuse to join, especially the ones that operate outside the scope of law and or regulations.
    Think Soupy put it best competition is the American way, that being the case I like the idea of competition. I will pit my skills at running a business, salesmanship, and offering a quality service/product, against anyone's.