1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lawnboys New Commercial 21"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Fareway Lawncare, Feb 11, 2005.

1. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Does the engine have a PLS or is it the old bather style?
  3. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Duraforce is not dead yet. It's still available on the GoldPro series, and some of the commercial units with the big tank are still floating around.

I would have thought they would have went up a bit higher than the Quantum I/C. But I'm betting Lawnboy is allowing time and paying Briggs to build them a top quality version of the engine that Briggs will gladly warranty for two years of commercial use. Odd choice I'll admit, but Good stuff.
  4. Envy Lawn Service

I think that engine has a gear driven pressure lube, but no oil filter.
  5. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

I just looked at the new Lawnboys at my dealer this week they have the #10695 for $449 with the Honda engine looks like a good mower for the money.
  6. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

I like my 2 stroke..........never had good luck with Briggs.
  7. Envy Lawn Service

Yeah, I think I'd prefer the standard setup of the #106 frame as opposed to the offset wheel setup on the #105. There are actually 2 model series' that offer the #106 and a Honda engine. Have you checked them all out?
  8. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Has anybody been able to learn if the B&S on those new mowers will fit up on the LB deck?

I bought a LB 21"commercial (model 22261) last April. After about 400 hours of service, the engine failed (needle bearings on the crank were destroyed). After much hassle with a dealer, I ended up rebuilding with a new short block. Total cost: $260 (no dealer or LB help on this). See a thread I posted last September, if you want more details.

I used the rebuilt engine for the rest of 2004 season, but have little confidence of longevity for 2005. Therefore, I want to learn my options NOW for repair. I doubt I would rebuild with a new short block again, if this one fails. I would probably want to repower.

I've tried leaving an e-mail with LB for the past several days -- the form they provide will not send. Why? I don't know, just noted as "error on page." Big help!!!

So, I picked up the phone and called the headquarters. After a full explanation to Customer Service, I was told I would have to talk with Service. I was transferred and told my story all over again. My questions were simple:

1. Will the B&S fit up to my 22261 model? That is, are the bolt patterns the same, are the height, shaft details, etc the same as my mower?

2. If so, then what is the model, code, and type? And, where can I buy a replacement engine?

They told me I would have to get that information from the dealer. From the dealer??? Say what??? The dealer has a hard time replacing a spark plug, let alone knowing if the two engines are interchangeable. I was told "we aren't able to recommend engines." Further, I was told they don't have any of the information I was asking, rather I would have to get it from an engine manufacturer. I was asked if my present engine was running, why was I asking these questions. I tried to explain that NOW is the time to learn the options, not in the heat of battle when the grass is growing an inch a day!

Wow! I was shocked. If LB doesn't have the engineering information about hole patterns on the mower decks, the height dimensions, etc, who is designing these machines?

I thought my question was pretty simple. Am I expecting too much?

Anybody else have any insights? Thanks.
  9. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

the home depot consumer models are tecumseh..... Thank goodness there are plenty of 2 cycle parts available!!!!!!!
  10. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

Commercial Units will have the Briggs Only...The Hondas are on the Homeowner Units...The Units w/out Off Set Wheels are Homeowner Toros Painted Green.

Did you Know that Before the Duraforce the Commercial Lawnboys Used a 2Cycle Briggs?...It was a Killer Little Engine. This Bad Boy Briggs is Over 10 Years Old & Still Runs Strong....Commercial Units Both.

lb classic.JPG