1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lawncare Boredom...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Charles, Jul 17, 2001.

1. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Been a very busy money making year so far. But what usually happens this time of year is that I am bored out of my mind with the same ol routine day after day. I dream of a more exciting carreer. I use to have a parttime winter trucking biz that at least got me out of town regularly to interesting places. But could not drive the 15 hours straight they required without great risk and on call all the time.... Oh well, anyone else got the mid season lawn care blues?
  2. southside

southside LawnSite Senior Member

Drive a tow truck. It worked for me. Few weeks of that and you'll
    be begging to get back on the mower.

3. powerreel

powerreel Banned

Well, it could be worse.....You could sit in a cubicle all day.
  4. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I feel for you. I had the same feeling when I was working in Chicago in an office. Same old thing. After I got hired at my job in WI. I vowed never to do something inside an office again.

Its human nature for us to get bored with the same tasks on a day to day basis but look at the future. I try and set short term goals that are attainable and some long range goals. Some are, cutting time off of jobs by working smarter, others are to increase my customer base in certain areas of work. I also got a little boared with the mowing aspect and expanded to fertilizing and pesticide applications. It gave me a renewed interest. I have other business ideas that I want to try.

You also have to take the time to get away from it completely. A vacation as simple as a weekender recharges the batteries. I also like to golf(ok I like to try , I golf a 60 -- for 9 holes;) )
    If you golf just dont look at the greens and think you could mow them better!

Try and remember the Pre-season when you are just waiting for it to warm up. It all passes. Good Luck to you.
  5. dhicks

dhicks Member

I have been tired on many days but I have yet to become bored with the business. For some reason, I like getting up and making the equipment ready for the day and hitting my first cut. I guess that after working in an office environment for 30 years I prefer being outside.
  6. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

Charles' complaint is for real- - especially if you are a social person by nature.

Speaking for myself, this season has been worst than most, attitude-wise, maybe its the screwy weather, maybe my advancing years (lol). Several long-time customers have either passed away or moved to assisted-living centers leaving me to fill the slots with newbies who still need to be conditioned to the "new way" of lawn care (i.e., mine)

For the first time since starting my biz 8 years ago I am seriously considering putting it all on the block and changing careers.
  7. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I think powerreel hit the nail right on the head. I work three days a week right now, so I get lots of time to use how I choose, mostly with my family. I'm leaving those other two days open for any other jobs that I get, like retaining walls, etc. So I guess I do try to go for variety too. But an office cubicle? Uh-uh, no way!!
  8. deason

deason LawnSite Member

Charles, looks like you are "burning out" a little. Can you turn loose of the biz for a week or 2 and take some time off? Maybe go wet a hook somewhere? Your attitude will influence your work, weather you realize it or not. And if you keep this up, you may loose some business. Take care of yourself (first).
  9. jimbob

jimbob LawnSite Member

that is the reason i have backed out of the business somewhat, bringing my son in helped
  10. Do you want me to head on I-84 east and come to CT and straighten your attitude?

For I am a motivational speaker and live in a van (1977 Dodge maxi camper van) down by the river.