1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lawncare Gifts......

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fga, May 18, 2004.

1. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

What do you do when you have a customer give you something of value, and it just happens to be the day you were going to leave the bill in the mailbox?

2 weeks ago, a customer asked me to till up his garden (10' x 6'), asked how much, i said don't worry about it, i'll do it real quick with the shovel and cultivator. He was very appreciative, and it only took me 10 minutes. I do little freebie's like that. Today, I was going to leave the bill for the month, and he brings out an used but in great shape RC Gas trainer plane, completely built minus servos. This guys been flying for a long time and he talked me into the hobby over the winter, and he was excitied to give it to me. the value of the plane is well over $125, and his monthly bill is $70. I love the plane, but I didn't ask for the plane, and can use the money, but didn't want to seem ungrateful. He also said he would meet me at the field to teach me. A real nice guy, wife died over the summer last year.
    Do I eat the small amount of money, or bill? It's not only the money, Would that send a wrong message in doing future business?
  2. Blessed 1

Blessed 1 LawnSite Senior Member

Business is Business. The plane is a tip. I really appreciate it, here is your bill. Have a wonderful day!
  3. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

sounds more like he needs a friend with a similar intrest (hobby, planes) more than anything, especially after losing his wife. business is business but you can have friendships with customers also.
  4. fga

he's an old guy (60's), down the block from me, who i do the snow for also. Even when his wife was alive, he would offer things like,.......... he teaches painting voluntarily at an old person's home. this guy is as good as Bob Ross (he says better!!). He offered to paint a wedding pic of me and my wife for free, just to do it.
  5. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

FGA, i would give the bill.

It seems that is what the common advice is, but you would rather eat the bill. Do what you wanna. Sounds like a great tip though.

6. lawnmedic1

lawnmedic1 LawnSite Member

I would take it as a trade for tilling his garden which you told him was no charge. A lot of older people don't like getting something for free. Accept it as payment for tilling and give him the bill for mowing ......Chuck
  7. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

maybe his thinking is he is giving you the plane for tilling his garden, like said before, so it's his way of saying thanks. this being so, there's no reason for you to say thanks back by not billing him, then you'd continue on a cycle.
    I'd say thanks for the plane, and still bill him. if anything, keep in touch with him, and help him enjoy his hobby with you, if that's your intention.
  8. cajuncutter

cajuncutter LawnSite Senior Member

I fly rc planes. If the trainer is used with no servos and if it has an engine, likely a little os 40 then it aint worth 70 bucks. I don't think he is going to miss the plane and he probably plans on you plowing it in the ground much like you did his little garden. I would give him the bill. You are going to need the 70 bucks and then some to buy a flight pack and radio and all the field equipment. You don't know it yet but the "free" plane just ended up being at least 3 Ben's. Also just a word of advice. Don't get on the internet and buy used recievers, servos and radios. If you must get used buy them either from your customer or someone he knows really well and he knows the history of the electronics. Lets just say I learned the hard way. :(
  9. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

10. fga

plowing into the ground like his garden:D :D I've been flying electronics since late fall / early winter, this is my first gas, don't know much about it. I've been buying new equipment off the internet and our 1 local rip off shop.............
    decidied i'll bill him, but through the mail, instead of deliverying it myself............ done! thanks guys. He probably exspects to get billed, its just my consious that debates it, I feel guilty even when I shouldn't. I'm just too much of nice guy I guess.:angel: :angel: me:angel: :angel: