1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lawncare Rates

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Matts Mowing, Sep 21, 2004.

1. Matts Mowing

Matts Mowing LawnSite Member

I have been a member on Lawnsite for a few months and really enjoy the good advice and stories I read everyday. There is one thing however that bugs me from time to time. I have noticed in many posts members saying " I will not drop my gate for less than $35.00" etc... I know that where I live in No. Colorado we average $23-30 a lawn. I work on residentials, so I will not speak for the commercial account guys. I think it is always good to be aware of where someone lives before we go and make judgements about their business practices or rates. I know around here that most LCO's would go under very fast demanding $40 and up cuts. Most lawns out here range around 3-6,000 sq ft. I would guess that some of these lawns that are $40 yards are much larger back East vs West. I make a very healthy profit on my accounts, so I know that you can make plenty of money working solo and mowing $25 lawns. :drinkup:
  2. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

you can make a bundle cutting 3-6 k lawns for $25. You are still probably getting $60 per man hour labor.

I have noticed in my area that the larger the property gets, the smaller the profits. It seems that people want to move into a large house on a large lot. But doesn't want to pay for the lawn to be serviced. I stay away from anything over an acre. The problem is, my competition is letting these large property owners dictate the price. Most owners will say they will just go buy a rider before they pay $90 to have their grass cut every week. then the competiton starts lowering their price just to get the work. I say let them have it.

Sorry for ranting :) anyway, I think the money is made on smaller properties. Our minimum is $25, but we only have a few at that price, most are $30-35, but they are 8-10k properties. one man can do 2 of these an hour. $60+ per man hour is the goal.
  3. Del9175

Del9175 LawnSite Senior Member

Just because someome says they won't drop their gate for anything under $35 or whatever, doesn't mean that every yard in their area pays that much. It simply means that they don't mow yards that are smaller than a $35 yard.
  4. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

We mow yards all the way down to $20.00 per mow, but they are bunched together in the same neighborhood as other yards. I wouldn't drive out with employees and equipment to mow one yard at $20 by itself. I believe that is what people mean when they say the won't "drop the gate" for anything less than $35.
  5. scott's turf

scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH

I think Matt's Mowing is getting confused between rates and minimums. Rate is quantity measured with respect to another measured quantity, example: $60/hr. And when it comes down to it, our rate is the only thing that matters. Most of us know what our min rate is and have roughly calculated that the min cut price to get that rate. This is because of drive time, load and unload, billing time, etc. We have a $30 min cut too with the exception of a $10 cut we do of a customers neighbor with 300 sq ft of grass with no trimming. They are aware though that if their neighbor discontinues service that we will no longer be able to service their lawn.
  6. economiclawncare

economiclawncare LawnSite Member

to me it does matter where you live you should be able to make $60 a man hour atleast in your 2nd year. by that time you should have a some what tight route so even if you do only get $25 for 6k yards you still are making $60 an hour and another thing is you can make money off of just cutting grass. here in my area you only have to cut 17 yards a day 5 days a week to make $2000 a week working no more then 45 hours including paper work SOLO. plus we have about 30 weeks of cutting grass so that is $60000 a year working only 7 months. trying doing that at a job. and imagine if you have a employee you just about double your gross earnings.
  7. Andyinchville2

Andyinchville2 LawnSite Member

our prices vary depending on how much business we have or how much we want to get...typically we price lower so we get all the business we can...Has worked great so far over the years....we always keep our crews busy and profitable by doing close in close together jobs.
  8. jphag

jphag LawnSite Member

What about a $1 per minute. For the most part this works. $60.00 an hr isn't a bad rate.