lawncare set up? truck, equipment?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fga, May 26, 2004.

1. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

I've been experimenting for 6 years now trying to find the perfect lawncare set up, regarding trucks and equipment. All the while trying to keep overhead down. I've had vans, pick ups (small and full size), box truck, now a dumptruck. I've never had a trailer yet due to space limitations, but so far this year with the dump is the most smooth. I'm able to leave my equipment in the back, and have plenty of room in all the tool boxes, and I love the hanging hand tool racks I made on the side of the dump body.
    But I have a 32" kees WB, i've never used yet, going in the shop finally, and I'm looking to purchase some other bigger equipment, 36" - 48" wb, that won't fit ideally in the back of the dump body. I was debating a dump trailer instead, with a fairly strong, dependable, pick up, that would double as a personal ride.
    I think that would cover almost everything that a landscaper might need.
    Anyone else using thier personal pick up with a lettered dump trailer?

2. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm using my personal pickup for one of my crews, and then an older truck for the other one. Whenever I can afford it I am going to get away from using my personal vehicle simply because it is becoming nasty (grey leather turning to brown because of sweat, scratches all over it becuase of rocks, grass, etc being thrown). I currently don't have a dump trailer also becuase of expense but have looked at them. Honestly I think I would rather have the dump truck though. I used to have a really old smaller dump truck earlier last year that got totaled becuase of some idiot and really miss it. Why can't you pull a trailer behind the dump truck?

3. Creative Lawn Care

Creative Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

So you somehow get your mowers up into the back of a dumptruck!!?? why in the world would you put yourself through this? It would be so much easier and probably cheaper to have a pickup truck and a trailer. Also you would get much better fuel mileage. If you have some reason you cannot have a trailer why not use a flatbed or rollback with ramps???

4. Eric 1

Eric 1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats what i was wondering, how do you get mowers in the back of a dump truck.:confused:

5. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

where fga is from and to some extent myself (queens/nassau border) there is little to no room to park a trailer. It's like friggin Tokyo. I actually put my open 5x8 trailer into my garage each night for security, aesthetic, and equipment protection reasons. It's tight around these here parts, hear?

6. fga

It's not too hard for 2 guys to lift a pair of Lawnboys 4" higher then a pick up. I also have the tailgate adjusted down with the chains, so its alittle lower than a pick up. And i have ramps when i need to haul a larger piece of equipment. when i do i have to load larger things, it is a pain in the @ss. but i do what i have to.
    As i need larger mowers, and gain more accounts, i'm trying to find the perfect set up for usabilty, and effiency.

this first year with the dump, I've had so many people approach me for work, much more than I ever had with the pick up.

7. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I think that the dump would be more of a hassle

8. fga

It is really tight for space here, you're right. And i've looked into renting a lot, but its alittle too much $$$$$ right now. I figured if i could use an unlettered pick up (heavy duty), i could leave it on the street, and back a lettered dump trailer in the driveway. Still working my brain..................

9. outsidepride

outsidepride LawnSite Member

i have a 2001 Chev 2500 Desiel and a 18 ft dump trailer works awsome just got it this spring works great for many uses the ramp at the back folds out to laod eqipment or swings like a dump door. great for putting the leaf vacuum on too at the end of the day just un hook and use the truck for what ever