Lawnkid thread

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by lawnkid, Oct 7, 2007.

1. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

Here's some finished and construction pictures of a job we did in the spring. We have only done a handful of hardscape jobs this year due to myself being in college fulltime and lack of advertising. I'll try to get some more pics of some other jobs we did.

IMG_1036.jpg

IMG_1037.jpg

IMG_1038.jpg

IMG_1040.jpg

IMG_1041.jpg

2. shane mapes

shane mapes LawnSite Senior Member

looks great on a job like this how many man hours were spent on it .

3. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

Is this the job you posted questions about earlier this year? I think it looks OK, my only concern is that you have alot of running seams in the wall. Also, I don't see ant draintile exiting through the wall. What were your construction steps?

Chris

4. Captains Landscape

Captains Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

if I'm not mistaken you don't have a choice about the running seams with that product. Versa-lok mosaic. I'm also curious about the drainage.

5. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

You absolutely do have a choice. W/ the Mosaic panels you will always end up w/ a 2 block height bond, but if you think a bit you should never have 3 like what is shown in his 3rd pic. We install Mosaic all the time, you just have to plan ahead to avaoid it.

Chris

6. Captains Landscape

Ah, never-mind. I thought you were talking about the running bond horizontally between each "panel" not the vertical. my error.

7. Captains Landscape

on second thought, I dont think it will even allow you to pin the units if you dont overlap enough

8. lawnkid

Yes this was the wall I ws aking about earlier on in the season. We were told by an engineer that draintile exits were not necessary. We ran dranitle behind the wall and sloped them to each end. One goes into an existing drain and the other into a french drain. There is draintile in front of the wall as well carrying water away. I don;t have many pictures of the backfil and drainage. I have some from the excavation and base installation. Please keep the comments coming. This was definitely a learning experience for me. Me and another guy did the whole job in 2.5 weeks working 12 hour days 6 days a week. That includes the wall, plants, much, grading and hydroseeding.

9. lawnkid

Here are some excavation pics and the conditions we had to deal with. Sprinkler lines were never blown out from years ago and flooded our base. These were the inital excavation pictures. I actually ended up digging a 2' deep trench before things started drying up, threw down some portland to dry things up and we tamped about 18 ton of 1's and 2's into to stabilize the soil. Then we setup our rails, screeded the base and tamped and laid out first base course. Chris could you elaborate more on the running bonds issue and how it can be corrected in the future. I have alot of people with interest in this mosaic product and I wanna learn to fix this before I do another. Thanks

IMG_0870.jpg

IMG_0872.jpg

IMG_0871.jpg

IMG_0873.jpg

IMG_0874.JPG

10. lawnkid

Here's some of us compacting the base. We compacted a couple inches of 411 on top on the 1's an 2's before we laid down the geotextile and setup our screed rails for our 6" pad of compacted 411. This is as far as the pictures go before the final ones. We actually cut quite a bit of soil off the top of the mound so the slope wasn't so severe. Chris I am not NCMA certified and don;t know everything about walls. The drainage outlets are supposed to be every 40' is it?

IMG_0875.JPG

IMG_0876.jpg

IMG_0877.jpg

IMG_0878.JPG